10 Dog Clippers to transform your Mutt into a Handsome Hound
There are lots of reasons why someone may want to cut or shave their dog’s coat, from practical including skincare, to cosmetic. We’ve groomed for both reasons in our house, our old terrier suffered with his skin, and keeping him trimmed really helped – and he looked better too! We’ve also sampled several dog groomers, and actually, with a bit of practice have found that grooming at home was a better experience.
For some dogs, the formality of a trip to the veterinarian or groomer can be frightening especially for first timers. If you suspect this might be the case, try cutting your dog’s hair at home while he sits on the floor. If his fear is really focused on those scissors, try substituting with a clipper instead to get the job done.
A good dog clipper should help to prevent and manage your pet’s skin problems as well as improve its’ blood flow. Grooming our pets is also one of the most essential aspects of pet ownership.
When you try to make haircuts as pleasant as possible, your dog will be at ease and see that you’re on his side. Once that happens, he may even surprise you by exercising startling self-control. When he does that, reward him with a treat.
It takes time to master the art of grooming and perfecting the right technique with the right tool. There are an abundance of videos online offering tutorials on dog clipping, so that might be a good place to start if you are a beginner.
Tips for Good hair trimming
- Know the type of coat that your dog has and be sure you are using the correct tools.
- Thick, double or dense coats require a more powerful clipper.
- If you are not sure what length you want, use a longer grade, you can always go shorter if needed.
- Ensure the coat is clean, dry and brushed through before you begin clipping by bathing your dog during grooming.
- Check the clipper blades are sharp, free from rust and have no broken teeth. This will ensure the coat is cut evenly, not snagged or pulled.
- Have all your grooming tools at hand so that you don’t have to leave your pet once you start.
- Groom the dog regularly for short periods of time and reward the dog with positive reinforcement.
- Turn the clippers or trimmers on before putting them close to the dog to reduce any stress and startling.
- A smaller trimmer which has a narrower blade is useful when finishing the legs, feet, face, ears and harder to reach areas.
- When clipping or trimming areas with folds or wrinkles of skin, use your spare hand to stretch the skin to prevent the blades cutting or catching the skin.
- Once finished, brush the coat to remove any loose hair.
- Always clean and oil the blades before storing them away.
Best Dog Clippers
After thorough research we were able to come up with best hair clippers for your furry friend that are pocket friendly and effective.
#1. Sminiker Professional Low Noise Dog Clippers
The sminiker clippers are low noise, safe clippers which are easy to use in the home or salon. Low 60dB noise means your pet will feel more at ease, and level limiting combs mean safe clipping even for novices to grooming. A great lightweight cordless design adds to the clippers good value for money.
- Heavy-duty gear for proper powerful cut, with stable and steady control.
- The R shaped edge design prevents from accidentally cutting your pet’s skin.
- Titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for efficient and long term cutting.
- The titanium blade of the pet clipper will not get rusty. It always keeps sharp and ensures high durability.
- New user friendly, we provide3-6-9-12mm guide combs for your reference.
- Precision motor, low vibration and ultra-quiet design, free it from work noise with only about 60 db. To help the pet feel at ease.
- 1 Year Guarantee.
- Rates 4.4 in Amazon
#2. OMorc Low Noise Pet Clippers
Another quiet clipper (50dB according to manufacturer), with cordless capability and 6 comb attachments, these clippers again combine practicality with value for money.
Stainless steel scissors and comb come included, useful for long haired breeds who may need a trim before using clippers for finer detailing.
- Pet clippers fit for all hairy pets!
- Low vibration and ultra quiet design.
- Powerful motor of professional dog clippers.
- Light weight and cordless design for easy to use.
- The pet grooming kit is equipped with a charger. Charging for 3-4 hours, pet grooming clippers can sustain uses of 70 minutes.
- With the cordless clipper, you can no longer be bothered by the trouble of replacing batteries or boring wires, but also available for cord.
- Titanium acute-angle blade combining with the ceramic movable blade for smooth and efficient cutting.
- Skin-friendly contour-following combs make it safe, easy, comfortable.
- 1 year warranty.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
#3. Wahl Multi Cut Mains Dog Clipper
Well we knew that Wahl did male grooming products as we’ve had some clippers in our house before! Pleased to say that they are at the forefront of dog grooming too. They have a range of clippers to suit all budgets and requirements.
This kit has everything you need for trimming and full body clipping. It has high carbon steel blades that stay sharper longer, have superior blade geometry, and exceptional fur feeding to protect your pet from pulls or cuts any dog lover would love.
The kit also includes four guide combs that make it easy to get your desired coat length. This main operated clipper comes complete with a powerful, professional standard motor designed to be robust and cope with most types of animal hair. It seems with these clippers that the offset to such a good motor is the fact they are not cordless, but nevertheless up there with the best.
- Precision, self-sharpening, snag free, blades that stay sharper longer.
- Power drive cutting system easily cuts the thickest hair.
- Includes clipper, blade guard, storage case, oil, cleaning brush, scissors, styling comb, four guide combs.
- Motor: 10w vibrating armature (Single Speed).
- Includes instructional DVD with step by step instructions on grooming your dog at home.
- Rates 4.1 in Amazon.
#4. Andis Super Speed Professional Animal Clippers
There’s no getting away from the price hike here, but Andis is much trusted professional grooming clippers worldwide. These are the quietest on the market, ergonomic clippers designed to glide through the coat with ease – comfort for you and your pet.
Find more versatility where you need it, with the clipper’s two-speed settings that go up to 3,800 strokes per minute to tackle any coat. With just the flick of a switch, it goes from low speed for precision grooming to full body clipping with the high-speed setting.
This heavy-duty clipper uses a superior rotating motor that is powerful enough for thick coats and provides consistent cutting for dogs such as poodles, terriers, spaniels and their breed mates.
- Cool and quiet running.
- Perfect for all coats and breeds.
- Detachable blade design for ease of changing and cleaning.
- Shatter-proof housing.
- Animal clippers deliver more strokes per minute and a wider blade sweep for faster clipping.
- The powerful, heavy-duty universal motor delivers 2 speeds: 3,300 SPM and 3,800 SPM
- Ideal for grooming dogs, cats, horses, and livestock
- It is a brushless motor and ncludes a 3m cord.
- The comfortable hand-piece has an ergonomic handpiece and a very small diameter to reduce hand fatigue.
#5. TOPOP Lithium Rechargeable Dog Clippers
Another good budget-buy, saving money on dog groomers, this cordless set also comes with 4 attachments.
Acute-angle titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade gives you a smooth and efficient cutting which ensures safety without losing its sharpness or going rusty. The blade comes apart for easy cleaning.
Low noise can help calm down your pets and makes the grooming process much easier. The low vibration will not scare pets away ensuring whisper-quiet operation and a stress-free grooming experience for your furry friend.
- Lightweight and cordless design makes it easy to handle hard-to-reach areas.
- Run continuously for 80 minutes after fully recharging.
- Friendly guide combs make the grooming safe, easy and comfortable.
- The copper-axis motor produces low noise and low vibration.
- Sleek design makes it easy to hold and control.
- Come with a universal charger and a cleaning brush for your convenience.
- It is rechargeable so you don’t need to buy new batteries again, also the rechargeable battery is included in the clipper.
- Comes with 4 sizes of comb attachments: 3mm, 6mm, 9mm and 12mm that allows you to cut your pet hair to the length you like.
- 45 day money back guarantee
- 18 months warranty.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
#6. GHB Dog Grooming Clippers
If your dog is afraid of noise GHB electric pet clipper is very easy to operate for a beginner. It gives your dog a perfect look,it is light to use and well made too. The sharp precision blades stay cool for longer and vibrate as little as possible.
This convenient pet grooming kit also includes a stainless steel comb, 2 guide combs(3/6/9/12mm), stainless steel scissor, AC power adapter, cleaning brush and an extra blade to satisfy basic needs when doing the dog grooming. The dog grooming kit could help you finish the whole grooming easily! Moreover, it is packed in a very decent sturdy box perfect gift choice for your family and friends.
Whisper-quiet operation design and a stress-free grooming experience compared with traditional dog clippers, GHB’s rechargeable dog clippers has the convenience of cordless which make it easy for you to use it anytime and anywhere.
- Suitable for long haired dogs and cats.
- Low noise<50dB, low vibration-quiet enough not to scare dogs and cats.
- Superior rotating motor provide limitless supply of power for fast trimming hair and cutting smoothly.
- TURBO speed up button enable increase and lower speed instantly with high efficiency trimming. (5000/5500/6500/7000 rotation per minute) Encounter resistance but will accelerate, so it is easy to shave the hair, no stuck.
- This pro pet clippers is designed with LCD screen to remind the burden, power use and the running speed. Users can have a better control of the grooming process to prevent its power off and not interrupt the clipping.
- The cordless pet clipper is fitted with a powerful rechargeable battery that need about 3 hours to charge.
- Lifetime warranty! 100% quality guaranteed.
- Comes with necessary accessories which makes pet grooming easy.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
#7. Focuspet Grooming Clippers
Middle of the range, budget-wise, these clippers are a bit of a step up in terms of features, with three running speeds and super long running time on cordless operation. Furthermore, you can work for 4 hours with it has a built in Li-lion battery.
The sharp titanium and ceramic blades which feature on numerous clippers we reviewed, mean they are durable and stay rust-free, and are detachable for ease of cleaning.
Great clipper kit, which is good with its many trimming styles and 8 combs. It is lightweight and good quality.
- Low noise, low vibration.
- Oiling and charging prompt function.
- Rechargeable battery and fast charge and intelligent charge protection.
- Long power supply and LED light reminder.
- Three running speed with changeable speed, you can control the hair cutting freely.
- Ideal for dogs, cats, horse, rabbit, other animal.
- Titanium blade combined with ceramic blade keep sharp and durable hair cutting and prevent from rusting.
- Ceramic blade will stay sharp forever and it will not rust and does not heat up easily.
- Detachable blade for ease of changing and cleaning.
#8. Otstar Rechargeable Cordless Pet Hair Clippers
Another good clipper set featuring lightweight cordless design, low noise and vibration for a stress free grooming session for both user and pooch!
Again featuring a titanium ceramic blade, for efficient performance and safe, cool cutting. The kit includes 4 attachments an a UK charger, and other useful accessories including comb and scissors.
Otstar dog grooming supplies contain everything you need to groom your dog/cat at home as good as the experts.
- Sharp and durable titanium blade combining with the ceramic movable blade provide efficient cutting performance.
- User friendly as you can safely trim your pet even if you’ve never done it before.
- Powerful and quiet with low vibration and ultra-quiet design.
- Working noise lower than 55 dB, no longer worry about scaring your pets away and free you and your pets from annoyance of noise.
- Light weight and cordless design for easy use.
- Save you money as it is far cheaper than one session at the groomers.
- 18-month warranty.
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon.
#9. Enjoy Pet Dog Clippers
These clippers are light, quiet, and fast, it will zip right through your pet fur without any issues. It also does not vibrate a lot which is nice when you are using it for hours on end as it does not make your hand numb.
Low noise and cool clippers means easy grooming for you since you do not have to wrangle your scared dog while being tethered to a wall making Enjoy pet clipper a grooming item you must have.
Very effective and reliable with its ultra-high capacity feature: Built-in 2000mAh Li-battery. Last for 7 hours working after 3 hours fully charged, longer than other ordinary pet grooming clippers.
- Powerful motors and no clogging as it providing amazing power without hair clogged.
- 33 Teeth sharp blade best for hairy, thick or soft hair dogs, cats or rabbits.
- Ultra-quiet technology: 50-60 db. With perfect blade adaption and silencer technology to reduce the friction between the blades, effectively reduces the noise.
- Includes a stainless steel sharp scissor and comb with every purchase to thank every customer.
- Upgraded rechargeable Li-battery ensure the fastest possible charge and longest working for a better haircut.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
#10. Wahl U-clip Dog Clipper Kit
A good hair clipper needs to be reliable to both the pet and its owner and Wahl ensures this. It has a solid feel even though most of the body is made of plastic, and can stand up to a good amount of use. Specifically designed for home clipping dogs with wiry, smooth, short or long-silky coats.
It comes with all the guards, oil, and brush in a convenient carrying case to achieve maximum performance.
It is a heavy duty clipper with an advanced, patented motor, providing substantial power and speed without producing additional heat or noise and has a long good cord.
The U-Clip dog clipper is specifically designed to deliver ultimate comfort for your dog, with an ergonomic, rubberised grip.
- This long lasting main powered dog clipper features our most powerful rotary motor and is specifically designed to maintain wiry, smooth, long, silky and short coats at home.
- Fitted with precision ground, high carbon steel blades that work with the adjustable taper control system.
- 8 coloured attachment combs make it easy to select the desired cutting length which range from 3-25mm.
- This ergonomically designed clipper is comfortable for you and your dog, with a rubberised grip and low noise levels.
- Suitable for light body clipping on small and medium sized dogs.
- Ideal for face, feet, and finish work on all dog breeds.
- Robust and durable, the clipper comes with a 2.5m cable.
- Rates 3.4 in Amazon.
Grooming experts love high speed, durable and versatile clipper with high and low speeds making it perfect for complete animal grooming. A good clipper will have quiet operation features to keep even sensitive animals calm.
You can never be careful and a cool-running smart design eliminates fans and vents that can become clogged with hair and a locking switch which ensures that clipper will not accidentally shut off.
You need control as you trim your dog fur as a bad experience can forever make your dog anxious, ensure he is calm and you have the right tools when cutting his hair and a round barrel trimmer for a wider grip. Remember to reward your pet with a treat for good behavior while getting a hair cut.