10 Best Wet Dog Foods Ideal for Your Furry Friend
What is Wet Dog Food?
Wet dog foods are soft moist chunks usually meat that come in a containers, cans or pouches. They’re super tasty, full of protein and easy for dogs to consume with less chewing. Wet dog food can be a great addition to your dog’s diet and for the picky eaters.
There are pros and cons to wet dog food vs dry dog food. It tends to be more palatable and easier to eat perhaps for senior dogs etc, and often has higher protein content. However it also tends to be more expensive, spoils more easily and larger volumes are required. Choosing whether to feed your dog a wet or dry dog food will be a personal choice or one decided with your vet. You will find there are hundreds of different wet dog food brands available online. So what’s the best brand on sale today?
Best Wet Dog Food UK
Dogs are mans best friend and loved in the family setup. A study shows most households own a pet be it a dog or a cat. With our dogs, we always want the best. They are our companion and part of our family. We take care of our health needs and should also ensure our dogs has a tasty meal which is complete and balanced with proteins for strong and lean muscles, amino acids and omega oils for a radiant and shiny skin and coat. The love you can show your dog is providing a healthy and nutritious meal for its dietary need. We did our research and came up with 10 best-wet dog food that your furry friend can enjoy eating.
1. Lily’s Kitchen Grain Free Multipack Wet Dog Food
We recently did a lot of reading about dog food allergies and intolerances, and also had a closer look at what was contained in dog food. We noticed that intolerances to wheat products were growing and more pet parents are choosing to swap to a grain free diet. Hence many of the most popular selling dog foods are now grain free, and Lily’s kitchen has a great offering here with this wet food multi-pack. Lily’s kitchen foods only contain fresh meat in their products, alongside other fresh ingredients such as vegetables and herbs, alongside essential vitamins and minerals to make up a complete diet. They do not contain meat meal or other meat derivatives. If you want to know more about these terms, we talked about it in our post ‘whats in your dogs dry food’.
This grain free multi-pack offers 4 delicious flavours of food for an appetising variety for your dog. It is not a budget dog food, but highly regarded by many pet owners alike.
- Multipack of nutritionally complete, grain free wet dog food – Sunday lunch, fishy fish pie and wild campfire stew
- Grain-free suppers – ideal for easier digestion
- Made with freshly prepared meat, vegetables, fruits and herbs
- Made with proper meat – no meat meal, no bone meal, no rendered meat
- No derivatives, preservatives or fillers – all natural healthy goodness
- £5.40/kg (12 x 400g cans)
- Rated 4.6/5 on Amazon
2. Nature Diet Natural Dog Food.
If you want your dog to be healthy, have a nutritious and quality food? Naturediet has all those as it ensures finest qualities in their ingredients with no artificial preservatives, flavouring and colouring. All their menus are nutritionally balanced and contain all the nutrients your dog needs for a healthy, active life to reduce the risk of allergy. Naturediet use freshly prepared chicken that’s white meat which is yummy to your dog. It is highly palatable and suitable for adults, senior dogs and those with digestion issues. Nature diet chicken is a complete food containing all the essential nutrients your dog needs for a healthy diet. Naturediet is a complete natural dog food which keep dogs naturally healthy, that’s why their wet dog food is hypoallergenic and free from artificial ingredients, preservatives and other nasty chemicals; perfect for fussy eaters or dogs with allergies. All packs contain at least 60% real meat, brown rice, vegetables, herbs and other natural goodness. Based upon holistic principles, using only the finest quality, natural ingredients, their traditional range is made without artificial preservatives, colourings or flavourings and is wheat gluten free.
Chicken (min 60%), vegetables (min 5%), brown rice (min 5%), omega 3, omega 6, natural ground bone, kelp, herbs.
- 100% Natural
- Based on holistic principles
- At least 60% real meat
- Full of Natural Goodness.
- The white meat menu is highly palatable and uses only freshly prepared chicken to help reduce the risk of potential allergies to your dog.
- £3.28/kg (18 x 390g trays)
- Rated 4.2/5 on Amazon
3. Forthglade 100 Percent Natural Grain Free Complete Wet Dog Food Poultry Variety Pack
Forthglade is a Devon based producer of natural pet foods, producing foods with ‘no junk or fillers’, just natural ingredients. This grain-free poultry range provides 3 different flavour combinations each with 75% meat content and other carbohydrate and fibre rich nutrients like squash and sweet potato, for a balanced diet. Most of the ingredients Forthglade uses come from within the UK, and they pride themselves on their ingredients and promise honesty in their recipes – nothing hidden.
The company have also moved back to using white trays for their wet food and removing individual cardboard sleeves from the wet food multipacks, in an effort to become more eco-conscious and reduce packaging.
A highly recommended dog food at a reasonable price point.
- Natural grain free wet dog food variety pack which consists of 4x Chicken 395g, 4x Turkey 395g, 4x Chicken with Liver 395g
- High meat content of 75% which provides a great source of Protein for your dogs aged 1 year and above
- Our complete dog food is grain free which is perfect for dogs with sensitive tummies
- No sugars, artificial colours, flavours or preservatives. Easy to digest and packed with nutrients and natural goodness
- Forthglade’s natural high meat wet dog food is made in Devon, UK
- £2.85/kg (12 x 395g packs)
- Rated 4.5/5 on Amazon
4. Natures Menu Chicken and Duck
Natures Menu produce both raw and raw-inspired meals for pets. You may have heard of raw pet food – we recently did our own bit of reading into this popular movement. Natures menu promise to use only the finest natural ingredients including human-grade poultry and meat from responsibly sourced farms, and sustainably-sourced fish along with other natural additives such as herbs and oils, and fresh vegetables delivered daily to their UK factory.
The natures menu multipacks are made with gently cooked whole meat, with no derivitaves, minimum 60% meat with added vegetables and rice to form a complete meal.
The natures menu range comes a bit pricier but is well loved, highly rated dog food and we like to display a range of foods to suit a range of budgets, and we think this one is worth it.
- Made with real meat
- Contains no meat meals or meat derivatives
- Gently cooked to retain nutrients
- Complete and nutritionally balanced
- Ethically sourced ingredients
- Human grade meat
- Free from artificial colours, flavours and preservatives
- Vet approved
- £4.53/kg (8 x 300g packs)
- Rated 4.6/5 on Amazon
5. Amazon Brand – Lifelong Complete pet food for adult dogs – Meat in Jelly Selection
For a lower budget but high quality food we looked at the Amazon Brand ‘Lifelong Complete’ as an option, with the convenience of buying and saving online.
The major differences with the lower budget dog foods tends to be that instead of using ‘whole meat’ i.e a piece of chicken breast or beef, the meat content contains meat and animal derivatives, often termed ‘meat meal’ for example. It is easier to choose if customers are well informed, and Lifelong Complete is clearly worded to reflect this, which we like.
You can also choose the ‘meat in gravy range’ if your pooch prefers, with 4 flavours per pack of 24 convenient pouches.
- Pack contains 24 pouches: 6 x chunks with beef in jelly; 6 x chunks with chicken in jelly; 6 x chunks with turkey in jelly; 6 x chunks with lamb in jelly
- Food for adult dogs: 100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition. Developed by pet Nutritionists and checked by Veterinarian
- Meat and Animal Derivatives 38% (including a minimum of 4% of the named protein). All meat ingredients and derivatives come from animals fit for human consumption
- Products contains ‘Various Sugars’ – this is from caramel syrup used as a source of natural colour (0.15%), no other sugars are added
- With fibre (Inulin) to support digestibility
- With valuable proteins as basis for strong muscles
- With vitamin D3 to support bones and teeth; With vitamin E to help maintain a good immune function
- £2.70/kg (24 x 100g pouches)
- Rated 4.5/5 on Amazon
6. PEDIGREE Dog Pouches Mixed Variety in Gravy
Pedigree is a well known trusted commercial pet food brand (one of the Mars brands). Being a large commercial producer means dog owners get a quality product at a lower price. Pedigree use meat and animal derivatives in varying proportions, depending upon what is available on the day and season. They don’t contain artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
Their wet food pouches come in gravy or jelly selections in a variety of flavours, this 40 x 100g multipack proves very popular and a top rated product.
- Mixed Selection in Gravy
- 100% Complete and Balanced pet food
- Dog food contains no artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- £2.50/kg (pack of 40 x 100g)
- Rated 4.7/5 on amazon
7. Pooch & Mutt – Fresh Wet Dog Food (Grain Free & Complete) – Chicken, Pumpkin & Pea
Pooch and Mutt are a small UK brand of dog food whose owner wanted to produce a complete dog food with built-in health supplements, inspired by his own dog who had hip dysplasia. Pooch and Mutt was formed, and they developed a range of dry and wet foods as well as treats, providing complete diets for your pet.
Pooch and Mutt only use fresh meat and vegetables, natural ingredients, and their TetraPak cartons have been shown to be better for the environment and impact on global warming than cans and are 100% recyclable.
Their Chicken, Pumpkin and Pea complete grain-free dog food contains 60% fresh chicken, vegetables and had added yucca extract and prebiotics to help healthy digestion.
Pooch and Mutt are a small ethical brand that we like very much, but you’ll pay more for their quality foods.
- Complete, grain free and 100% natural wet dog food
- Fresh and locally sourced ingredients suitable for all breeds and sizes
- 100% recyclable packaging
- Cartons have an 80% lower global warming potential than cans
- No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- Free from grain, cereal, gluten and GM produce
- A small, ethical, award winning Great British company
- £4.44/kg (12 x 375g pack)
- Rated 3.9/5 on Amazon
8. Barking Heads Wet Dog Food – Bowl Lickin’ Chicken – 85% Natural Free-Run Chicken with No Artificial Flavours, Grain-Free Recipe with Added Vitamins and Minerals
Barking heads grain free chicken recipe contains 60% fresh deboned chicken and another 25% chicken broth, free from anything artificial.
They are another relative newcomer to the market, providing premium pet foods to those who seek them. Barking heads was the idea of 3 dog lovers who got together and left their jobs at a commercial pet food brand, to pursue a dream of improving the quality of pet foods available at the time.
Now of course, the market is awash with similar companies all trying to compete with the same ethos of all fresh, all natural ingredients, hypoallergenic foods and eco sustainability. At RangersDog we like to showcase these smaller premium brands amongst the trusted market leaders to show that there is a range of products out there for all requirements.
Barking heads certainly gets our seal of approval, and plenty of others too.
- 85% FREE-RUN CHICKEN – Our Bowl Lickin’ Chicken wet dog food is made with 85% free-run chicken blended with a seriously yummy combination of garden veg and herbs, this chicken dinner isn’t called “Bowl Lickin” for nothing! Slow cooked to perfection
- NATURAL INGREDIENTS – This dog meat recipe is made using only the best quality, natural ingredients. Free from artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives
- ADDED VITAMIN AND MINERALS- This delicious grain-free puppy food has added vitamins and minerals to ensure your pup is getting everything they need
- SLOW COOKED TO PERFECTION – This grain-free, meat recipe for puppies has everything you need to feed a happy, healthy puppy
- FEEDING GUIDE ON EVERY PACK- Use the feeding guide on the back of the pack to ensure your puppy is eating enough for their size!
- £5.66/kg (Pack of 10x300g)
- Rated 4.6/5 on Amazon
9. HARRINGTONS Mixed Bulk Wet
We like Harringtons brand and they too, feature in our dry dog foods article. They seem to get the balance between price and quality and so we couldn’t refresh our wet dog foods review without including their range. Buying in bulk also makes sense especially if ordering online, a 48 pack contains 4 flavour combinations for plenty of variety.
Harringtons is a family run business, with food made in Thirsk, North Yorkshire. Harrington’s USP is their commitment and focus towards the environment.
This wet food range is grain free, and free of dairy and soya too, so will appeal to those who are looking for a hypoallergenic diet for their dogs.
- Grain free
- No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives
- Green Lipped Mussel for a rich source of Omega fat
- £3.13/kg (pack of 48 x 400g)
- Rated 4.3/5 on Amazon
10. Royal Canin Sensitivity Control Dog Food
Royal Canin sensitivity dog food is a sensitivity control complete wet dietetic feed for dogs which is specifically formulated to reduce ingredient and nutrient intolerances. In 1980 Royal Canin introduced specific diets for large breeds. They take into account age, activity, breed, size and lifestyle when formulating the unique dietary needs to provide nutritious solutions to your dog. The ingredients used is limited proteins to help reduce the risk of food allergies. Royal chain sensitive food reduces serious digestive problems and improves coat and skin of your dog. It comes highly recommended to puppies with stomach problems by vets.
Chicken meat, chicken liver, rice, fish oil, sunflower oil, cellulose fibre, minerals, taurine, Fructo-Oligo_Saccharides(FOS), marigold extract (rich in lutein), trace elements (including chelated trace elements), vitamins.
- Includes a limited number of proteins to reduce the risk of allergies.
- Contains fatty acids to help maintain healthy digestion and skin.
- Contains nutrients which help to support a balanced digestive system.
- Incorporates a patented complex designed to support the barrier effect of the skin.
- £6.93/kg (12 x 420g cans)
- Rated 4.7/5 on Amazon
A lot has been done through research, talking to various dog veterinarians and dog owners to bring you the best wet dog foods listed above. it would be a challenge and sometime a headache to any dog owner as the shopping malls are full of different variety of dog food claiming to be the best and nutritous to your dog with some having ingredients you can not pronounce and comprehend which can later turn harmful to your dog. you need to know your dog dietary needs and issues like sensitive stomach, healthy matters to get the best food which is quality and nutritous and we have made it simpler with our 10 best wet dog food list for you as next time you are going to shop food for your furry friend it will be smooth sailing.