Can Dogs Eat Grapes
Can I Feed My Dog Grapes?
There is a huge variety of fruit and vegetables, many of which boast fantastic health benefits – but can dogs eat grapes?
We know that not all food we humans consume is as safe for our canine friends.
Unfortunately grapes are NOT safe for dogs to eat. This extends to raisins, currents, sultanas and any food product containing them.
What do grapes contain?
Grapes contain a substance within them that is poisonous to dogs and can cause kidney (renal) failure. Acute kidney failure can kill your dog.
What the toxic substance is, experts are not sure, but one thing for certain is that dogs should NEVER eat grapes.
Can one grape poison my dog?
Grapes are poisonous to all dog breeds, but can have variable effects on different individuals. So one grape may be poisonous to some dogs whereas other dogs may not have ill effects until larger amounts have been consumed. Generally speaking, the more your dog eats, the more likely it is he will become unwell.
Signs of Grape or raisin poisoning in Dogs
If you suspect your dog has eaten a grape or raisins, you should immediately contact a vet. Early signs can be quite non specific, but include:
- Abdominal pain
- Blood in the poo
- Lack of energy
- Reduced appetite
Kidney failure can occur 1-3 days following ingestion, and signs of this include increased thirst and decreased urine output (a late sign once the kidneys have stopped working) but there are treatments for the poisoning which can prevent this if you act quickly.
Can grape poisoning be treated?
Fortunately, early detection of grape or raisin ingestion can mean prompt treatment and prevention of long term damage or even death.
There are several ways that your vet may treat your dog:
- By inducing vomiting – before the grapes/raisins have been digested, the best way is to bring them back up. This can be given upto 4-6h after ingestion.
- Activated charcoal – helps mop up toxins and stop them being absorbed
- Intravenous fluids – to help support the kidneys
- Other medication – including blood pressure support, or anti vomiting medication may be required
- Blood tests – to monitor kidney function during and after treatment.
Prognosis will vary depending on how many grapes your dog ate, whether he received treatment early enough, or whether he had already started to have kidney failure.
Preventing Grape Poisoning in Dogs
The best way to prevent grape or raisin poisoning is to keep these items out of reach of your dog. Christmas time is a main cause for concern due to products such as Christmas cake, mince pies, and puddings, often being put out in places that dogs may be able to reach.
As the dried fruits can be even more toxic than fresh grapes, it is particularly important to keep them well away from your dog.
It isn’t as well known that grapes and their dried counterparts are poisonous to dogs, but these little berries can cause a lot of damage. Kidney damage is irreversible, and can therefore have lifelong effects upon your dog.
It is important to know the symptoms of grape ingestion and seek early help from your vet if you suspect your dog has been poisoned.
Are you interested in reading more about what fruits and vegetables your dog can and can’t eat?