‘Last updated: February 6th 2019’.
10 Best Waterproof Dog Coats and Comfy Puppy Coats & Jackets to Keep Your Furry Friend Toasty in the chilly Winter Weather
Now the colder winter weather is setting in, we have been thinking about the best dog coats for our beloved pets. For those intrepid explorers amongst you, keep your best friend warm and dry whilst adventuring. Some dogs have short hair or thin skin making them prone to cold weather just like you. If you live where it is wet and cold a dog jacket can also benefit your dog’s physical and mental health.
We considered coats that were machine washable, waterproof and water resistant. Coats best for cold weather that can insulate to keep your dog warm, and checked that they are available in a wide range of sizes to accommodate most dog breeds. Coats which are either with or adjustable to accommodate a harness or leash that fit under or through the jacket.
The brands featured in this article are our pick of practical and stylish coats that will keep your pooch warm and happy when the chill sets in.
The Best Dog Winter Coats
# 1. Hurtta Summit Parka Dog Winter Coat
Another one from this Finnish dog outerwear brand – can you tell we like them?!
This is a revamped, highly functional version of their bestselling winter jacket. The highly technical winter jacket protects your dog’s most important muscle groups, chest and the sensitive abdomen area.
It is recommended for active dogs as it is designed not to slip and shift as your dog moves about making it easy to put on and off.
The jacket is designed to insulate short-haired dogs and dogs with no undercoat, preventing them from freezing at unfavourable weather. It has a high collar to keep the neck warm and lower hem to protect your dog lower body.
Waterproof yet breathable Houndtex coating with high visibility 3M reflectors making your dog visible even at night or dim light. Perfect fit with adjustable back length, belt and collar just ensure you measure your dog well.
Suitable for all dog sizes as it comes in different sizes to choose from for your dogs comfort. A real must for an active (especially short haired) dog in the cold winter.
- Waterproof and pleasant to wear.
- 3M reflectors making your pet visible in dim light.
- Adjustable back length, belt and collar.
- Recloseable opening for harness on the back in sizes 30-90cm.
- Protects the chest and key muscle groups.
- Integrated harness in small sizes 20-25cm.
- Recloseable attachment loops for back legs in large sizes 65-90cm.
- Machine washable.
- Rates 4.2 in Amazon.
# 2. EzyDog Element Dog Jacket
Ezydog have redesigned their Element jacket to bring back its popular fit with additional features. It has a 600D wind and waterproof outer shell. It is fleece lined, with a Quick-Fit Neo-Expand neckline for easy dressing! Featuring side release buckles with elastic straps for adjusting to a perfect fit, a waterproof access zip for attaching a lead, and light reflective piping on the side panels, this stylish jacket boasts all the features we look for.
- Quick fit neoexpand neckline for easy put-on
- Cam lock side release allowing one adjustment for perfect clsure
- Non piling fleece for superior comfort and warmth
- Waterproof access zipper for leash/harness
- 600D wind and waterproof outer shell
# 3. Hurtta Casual Quilted Overall Dog Coat
Hurtta make a range of dog coats in all styles and sizes, and they aim to make outerwear which enables outdoor activity, year-round.
This particular fit (L), is specially designed for slim breeds, and its warm quilting makes it ideal for short haired and hairless dogs even in cold windy weather.
If you love walking your dog at night or in dim light this jacket comes with a highly visible reflective piping keeping you and your dog safe while out.
Water and dirt repellent surfaces which ensures comfort and ease of movement for your dog as well as making it easy to clean.
It comes in different colours and sizes to fit your dog taste and personality!
- Warm and soft.
- Ideal for city walks and everyday outings.
- L fit for slim dogs.
- Highly visible reflectors.
- Has an adjustable 15-25mm elastic waistband and neck ensure the right fit for your dog.
- Rates 4.0 in Amazon.
# 4. Kurgo Pet Jacket
This is a lightweight, reversible jacket to keep your dog warm during the colder months.
The Kurgo jacket is made from rugged ripstop material and 140 gsm polytech fill, which makes it lightweight and flexible for use in the city or mountain side.
The water-resistant shell has a zipper opening so you can access your pup’s harness to attach a leash with ease and very fast. This dog coat is designed for athletic dogs that are going to be running, hiking and adventuring in inclement weather.
Its’ Led reflective light strip makes the dog visible even in dim light. This product even comes with a lifetime warranty from the manufacturer!
We love that each coat has two colours – trendy and stylish!
- Machine washable.
- Two side adjustment points with hook and loop closures.
- Reflective piping for visibility.
- 2-way zipper to incorporate underneath harness/leash attachments.
- Microtomic ripstop material for durability.
- 140 gsm Polytech fill for warmth.
- Rates 5.0 in Amazon.
# 5. Cold Winter Dog Pet Coat
We like the retro styling of this good value winter jacket which comes in a range of size and colour options. It has a zip opening for harness/lead, reflective brim, and quilted water resistant fabric for a classic look.
All dog sizes and shapes should be catered for, the manufacturer recommends ensuring sizing is correct by taking measurements of your dog. Our favourite this season – yellow (I have a lot of mustard colour clothing in my wardrobe!).
- Material: Polyester + Cotton, soft and warm Inner Layer.
- 6 Colors are available to suit you and your dog taste.
- Stylish and attractive design makes your pet the envy of everyone.
- Before purchasing please measure the size of your dog.
- Suitable for all most pet dogs, husky, bulldog, schnauzer, samoyed, beagle, chihuahua, dachshund, German shepherd, Labrador dog, golden retriever, pug, etc.
- Machine washable.
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
# 6. Ancol Muddy Paws Coat and Chest Protector
The Muddy Paws creators have taken inspiration from skiwear design and incorporated it into their range of coats for dogs. It has a chest protector, elasticated leg straps, reflective tape, and a slit for the lead – all the functional features we like to see. It has a waterproof outer, and is made from polyester – can be gently machine washed. It comes in a range of sizes and colours, we particularly like this chocolate one and think it would look perfect on a nice countryside ramble!
- Velcro fastening
- Elasticated leg straps
- Reflective edge tape
- Hand or gentle machine wash – 100% polyester
# 7. Weatherbeeta Deluxe Dog Coat
The Weatherbeeta brand is well-known if you also move in equestrian circles. We spoke to family who raved about their horse rugs and definitely gave a thumbs up to their dog jackets too.
The Weatherbeeta among all its great features also looks very stylish on. All in all a great buy!They have a full range of styles depending on the climate. It covers your dogs’ belly, back and chest avoiding its tender body to be exposed as it has full wrap chest and belly closure.
It is waterproof 1200D outer shell and has 220g fill that keeps your dog dry, a large collar with leash hole. It has Reflective strips keeping your dog safe at night or in dim light weather. It comes in different sizes for your dog perfect fit. The strap prevents shifting around even as she rolls around in the snow and is ideal for playful pooch even during winter.
- Super-strong and has a reflective strip to alert drivers and cyclist of your pet presence from far.
- Waterproof and breathable.
- Durable Polyester lining with medium 220g polyfil
- Full chest wrap and belly closure with easy to use touch tape closures.
- Large collar for added warmth, comfort and protection.
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon.
# 8. Ruffwear Full Coverage Waterproof Rain Coat for Dogs
This functional water proof, windproof and breathable jacket provides full coverage for maximum protection against the elements. It has a large storm collar and leg loops, a portal to attach a lead, a loop for attaching a safety light and a high-viz trim. It is a washable nylon/polyester m. It is a non insulated design meaning it can be used in warmer climes and on top of insulating layers in colder conditions. It has autolock buckles at the side for easy on-off.
Ruffwear are manufaturers of high performance, high quality dog gear. At the higher end of most budgets, it won’t disaaapoint.
- Full coverage design without restricting motion
- Leg loops and storm collar for additional wind and rain protection
- Lead portal and high viz reflective trim
- Waterproof outer shell with mesh lining
- Comes in 6 sizes and two colour options
# 9. ThinkPet Waterproof Dog Winter Jacket, Refletcive Heat-reflecting Dog Coat Windproof for Dogs Puppies
A water, wind and snow proof coat with heat reflecting properties, this Thinkpet dog coat is a highly attractive addition to the market. Silver spots on the Blackshark technique fabric make it reflect heat and enhance warmth. The inner fabric is moisture wicking, making it more breathable and therefore comfy for your pooch.
With reflective strips and logo, safety is maintained at night. Hook and loop fasteners make it easy to put on and off, and it features a zipped harness opening. Comes highly rated by owners!
- Sizes available in XS to 4XL – size guide available
- Made from Blackshark technique fabric making it breathable yet waterproof
- Hook and loop fasteners
- Range of colours
- Rated 5 stars on amazon
# 10.Animate Padded Waterproof Dog Coat
This is a durable completely waterproof coat with a padded lining. It is cosy and comfy to wear, larger sizes come with two underbelly straps. The woven polyester fabric is specially treated for high moisture permeability.
- Fully waterproof dog coat
- Warm padded lining
- 14 size options suit most dog breeds
- Fully taped seams
- Double stitched around the edge
- Rates 4.4 in Amazon
The coats and jackets featured here are designed for exceptional fit, ease of movement and maximum durability,warmth and can be purchased to fit your dog perfectly after measuring it. I hope this article will be helpful and assist you to pick the best wear for your dog during the chilly months.
Hope this was helpful…