‘Last updated: October 19th 2018’.
What is Dry Dog Food?
Getting the right dry dog food for your dog can seem a bit daunting when there are so many dog food brands around on pet shop shelves, all offering you more or less the same thing. The best dry dog food is high in protein, low in carbs, and made with high-quality meats. You will find there are hundreds of different dry dog food brands available online. So what’s the best brand on sale today? The United Kingdom is home to some of the best dog food brands available in the world. So what’s the best? Here are the top 10 best dry dog food brands on sale in 2018.
Best Dry Dog Food UK
For your dog to stay healthy a complete dry dog food will do the trick as it provides various nutrients without adding any supplements. The dry food has the required level of calories considering the health requirements for your dog. If your dog has a sensitive stomach or is allergic to various food types you can give it special dog food to cater for this. Dry dog food can be used as a treat for training. Check our article on Dog cameras for more insight into this. If your dog is a slow eater dry dog food is healthier as it is not prone to spoilage because of staying for long in the feeding bowl. The only precaution is plenty of water should be available for dogs on a dry food only diet to quench their thirst.
They are various variety of dog foods with tasty and balanced recipes with vital nutrients for your dog needs. We know that good nutrition is vitally important, so we have come up with a variety of dry foods that are tasty (as verified by satisfied pets!), healthy and well balanced.
Do your research and when buying consider:
- Dog size and age
- If you have a puppy your main aim is to see it grow healthy. The dry dog food ideal for it should contain calcium for its bones and teeth, proteins for bodybuilding and nutrients such as vitamin D and A for its bones and eyesight and brain development- food with Omega oils will come in handy.
- Smaller and active dogs require food that has a higher level of energy and calories as they are very playful and active, unlike older dogs.
- Older dogs will require food rich in fiber content to help in digestion and fewer calories to prevent obesity as they are less active and playful because of old age.
From our research and experiences, we came up with a great selection of the 10 best dry dog foods with affordable prices that considers the nutritious needs of your dog, focusing on adult dogs in this article. If you are looking for puppy specific food take a look at our article on best dry puppy food here. We came up with an assortment of tasty dog food recipes that offers the balanced and dietary needs of your dog.
Here at Rangers Dog, we have done the research to help inform your choice. Therefore, to save you some time we’ve created this handy table with top pick for every category.
Best Dry Dog Food Brands
|Best Overall||Best Value||Best Fish
|Brand||Lily’s Kitchen Chicken and Duck Dog Dry Food||Gilbertson & Page Arkwrights Beef Dry Dog Food||Beco Dog Food – MSC Cod and Haddock with Kale and Chickpeas|
|Added Salt & Sugar||No||No||No|
# 1. Gilbertson & Page Arkwrights Beef Dry Dog Food
Some dogs can be very fussy when its time for eating and will require a simple working diet, with chicken or beef and whole grain cereals for palatability and slow energy release like Gilbertson and Page beef dry food.
If you have an energetic lab/collie cross for example that has a sensitive stomach then this food is perfect for her. She will loves it and you too as it’s a very competitive price.
This dry food is suitable for adult dogs as it is a complete food formulated for all sporting and working adult dogs, dogs who are really fussy when it comes to eating, have skin issues and tummy problems.
This feed is also pocket friendly to any dog owner, If you are looking for a cheap alternative to feed your dog, this would be it and I would recommend it over common cheap brands that you find on store shelves as its loaded with many benefits.
Your dog will be happy and contented and eats it without any hesitation and still be healthy as the food is a complete diet, there is no need to supplement as it is designed to provide all aspects of a balanced diet, is consistent in quality and palatability to meet every requirement of your dogs diet.
Cereals, meat and animal derivatives (minimum 10% chicken/beef), oils and fats, minerals
- Vat free!
- Complete food for working dogs
- Contains protein for your dog
- Contains nutrition for your dog.
- Rates 4.4 in Amazon.
# 2. Beco Dog Food – MSC Cod and Haddock with Kale and Chickpeas
Having a natural complete food for dogs of all ages, breeds and sizes is a big score for any dog owner and cod and haddock recipe ensures that. It is particularly good for weight control and senior dogs with stiff joints. 100% fish oils ensures complete doses of omega oils that help in good dog skin and coat.
Good and nutritious food for your pooch as it adds vegetables and superfoods to make a nutritious complete dog food.
The MSC badge guarantees that seafood has been wild caught using sustainable fishing practices. Better for your dog, better for the environment and safe for your dog.
40% Freshly Prepared MSC Cod & Haddock, Potato, Peas, Chickpeas, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Sunflower Oil, Brewer’s Yeast, Lucerne, Minerals, Vitamins, Salmon Oil, Fresh Free Range Egg, Broccoli, Kale, Vegetable Stock, Chicory, Bilberry, Mulberry, Chamomile, Rosehips, Milk Thistle, Burdock Root, Stinging Nettle, Cleavers, Fennel, Marigold, Aniseed, Fenugreek, Grapeseed Extract, Spirulina, Omega oils and vitamins.
- Good for eye sight and joints.
- Packed with natural ingredients that leave your dog’s coat looking shiny and healthy.
- Grain free, gluten free, packed with prebiotic’s and easy on the digestive system.
- Our food is 100% natural! Free from artificial preservatives, flavours and colourings.
- Our fish is traceable, fresh, sustainably sourced.
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
# 3. Pooch and Mutt Dry Dog Food
Dogs with mobility issues and also those who are very active need food that gives them more energy to get on with their busy day, with Pooch Move Easy your dog will be at ease as the food is grain free, complete dried perfect for dogs with such issues.
Many dogs struggle to digest foods that are high in grains (including corn and wheat). Intolerance to grain can manifest in many ways, such as digestive discomfort, itchy skin and sub-optimal health this food is grain free and will be great for your dog if it has such issues.
The food is made with premium ingredients, including sweet potato, green lipped mussel, rosehip, b-vitamins, pro and pre biotics to help keep your dog moving and is suitable for any active dog comes highly recommended by vets.
Salmon (45%; including; 25% freshly prepared Salmon, 16% Dried Salmon, 3% Salmon Oil, 1% Salmon Gravy), Sweet Potato, Potato, Peas, Pea Protein, Beet Pulp, Linseed (3.16%), Alfafa (1.58%), Minerals, Vitamins, Brewers Yeast, Mannanoligosaccharides (Prebiotic Mos) (0.19%), Fructooligosaccharides (Prebiotic Fos) (0.19%), Glucosamine (1,000 MG/KG), Rosehips (0.04%), Green Lipped Mussel (0.04%), Yucca Schidigera Extract (0.04%), Cranberry (0.04%), Chondroitin Sulphate (290 mg/kg).
- Contains Omega 3 essential for joint well-being.
- Contains Glucosamine, Chondroitin, green lipped mussel, rosehips, linseed, alfalfa and yucca, all added to support joint health and mobility.
- Vet recommended as it is grain free ideal for dogs with intolerance to grains.
- Contains NUTRA-BIONIC which provide digestive help, aid the skin and coat, reduce stool odour and support urinal tract health.
- Free from Grain, Cereal , Gluten, GM produce, Artificial flavours, colours and preservatives
- Rates 4.3 in Amazon.
# 4. Wagg Mixed dry grill
This is one of the most popular diets offering a complete dry dog food ideal for all working dogs as they need extra nutritional requirements.
The beef and veg contains ingredients blended together to keep your working dog active as well as fit. The chunks are of a good size, and ideal for larger breeds like a Labrador. The bag is strong and doesn’t tear easily, so there aren’t any accidents with food spilling out over the floor.
The packaging of (17kg) is a big bag and lasts a long while, even for big eaters. Even so, the product stays fresh and crunchy to the bottom of the bag.
Each biscuit contains optimum levels of protein and carbohydrates to provide energy for active dogs and added vitamin B to help energy metabolism, yucca extracts for healthy joints, omega oils for shiny and healthy coat and skin and plant oxidants for a strong immune system.
Your dog will find this meal yummy with its tasty crunchy kibbles and keep your dog on its bowl salivating after an active play time. Safe as no sugars or artificial ingredients are included keeping your dog healthy all round.
Fully friendly for your dog as it contains:
- Prebiotic Mos that support healthy growth of bacteria in its gut,
- For healthy bones and teeth it contains calcium and vitamin D3.
- For strong teeth and healthy gums it contains necessary minerals and vitamin c.
- For shinny coat and skin it contains a mix of omega 3 oils and mineral zinc.
- For strong immune system it contains a range of vitamins from C,E and antioxidants from natural plants.
- Healthy from nose to tail
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon
# 5. Autarky Hypoallergenic Chicken Dry Dog Food
Autarky gives dogs everything they need to keep them active, healthy and working hard at every stage of their lives. It is a fantastic product, our Lab Kiki loves it and her condition and weight has definitely improved since using it. Wagging tail when it’s poured into her bowl and is hastily eaten every time.
The product can be fed dry or moistened with water or gravy to the consistency that your dog prefers. You should only feed sufficient amounts and always ensure that clean fresh drinking water is available at all times.
Very cost effective as there is no requirement to supplement this diet. It has given my dog a sleek smooth coat and is gentle on her sensitive tummy, it is natural, great value for money and importantly my dog likes it.
We are so pleased with this product judging by the ingredients its packed with all the good stuff. Delicious chicken offers naturally balanced hypoallergenic dog food for adult active dogs; packed with high levels of essential fatty acids and B vitamins to give dogs a healthy coat and skin and boost scenting ability.
The diet is wheat gluten and soya free making it a good option for dogs with a sensitive stomach; prebiotics are also included to support digestive health. It also includes taurine and carnitine which helps to keep hearts healthy while the addition of herbs and natural antioxidants support the immune system.
- Good value.
- Improves coat.
- Ideal for dogs with sensitive stomach.
- Nutritional and tasty foods that is both balanced and free from wheat, gluten and soya.
- Whatever their age, it provide the best nutrition for your working dog.
- No artificial colours, flavours or preservatives.
- Natural antioxidants available to protect every bag and ensure it stays as fresh and tasty as the day it was packed.
- Tasty, nutrition rich foods that are both balanced and free from wheat, gluten and soya.
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
# 6. Harrington’s Dog Food Complete Lamb and Rice Dry Mix
Harringtons adult dog diet are a complete pet food for all dogs from 8 weeks onwards. Most vets recommend Harrington’s complete dog food as it provides a wholesome, nutritious meal for all dogs with no added wheat, no dairy, no soya and no artificial colours or artificial flavours hence good for all dogs and mostly those with sensitive tummies.
Good for any dogs’ coat which will become noticeably shinier after some time on this dry feed. You will also notice your dog’s eyes brighten and full of energy on this stuff, it just generally delivers all you would expect of a good brand.
I love that it is so affordable without compromising our dogs’ health and wellbeing. If you are having trouble with a dog that is allergic, Harrington is great for dogs who are gluten intolerant and allergic to meat especially chicken and other feathered animals.
Maize, lamb, rice, barley, beet pulp, minerals, kelp, yeast, poultry fat, linseed, antioxidants, omega oils, yucca and citrus extracts
- No artificial colours or flavours, no dairy, no soya, no added wheat great for dog sensitive tummy and highly recommended by vets.
- Lamb is a good source of protein for your active dog.
- This feed has a balanced ratio of Omega 6 and 3 fats for a glossy coat in its ingredients.
- Contains vitamins and citrus extracts for supporting a healthy immune system.
- For any unpleasant odours from flatulence, no more of those as the feed has yucca.
- Has yeast to help maintain a healthy digestion.
- With calcium and phosphorous for healthy teeth and bones.
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
# 7. Lily’s Kitchen Chicken and Duck Dog Dry Food
Is your dog suffering from bone and joint issues, Lily’s kitchen take care of this effectively. This grain free, delicious and complete recipe with freshly prepared chicken and duck, is bursting with natural goodness from botanical herbs.
This recipe is perfect for sensitive stomachs as it is 100% natural ingredients of the highest quality. Contains salmon oil which is a fantastic source of Omega 3 and 6 great for your dog coat, heart, brain and joints.
Highly recommended and suitable for adult, senior dogs and puppies from 4 months onwards as this is a win-win product for any dog owner as the pieces are the right size, and easily palatable, easily digestible and make your dog fur looks good.
Come beefed up with glucosamine and chondroitin to help aid bone and joint support, prebiotics to help establish a healthy digestion and essential nutrients for overall health and also contains salmon oil, a fantastic source of Omega 3 fatty acids to help keep your dog’s coat, heart, brain and joints in good health. All round awesomeness.
This recipe is made using chicken, duck, sweet potatoes, wholesome vegetables, fruits and botanical herbs and all the essential vitamins and minerals your dog needs in their daily diet and excellent food full of natural ingredients which your dog will love.
- Immune system boost.
- Bone and joint support.
- Prebiotics for healthy digestion.
- Complete dry dog food with freshly prepared chicken (large pack).
- Natural, hypoallergenic & balanced recipe.
- Suitable for all breeds, large, medium and small dogs.
- Rates 4.8 in Amazon.
# 8. Arden Grange Adult Chicken Dog Food
Great feed for small and medium breed adult dogs with a normal activity level as it has super premium ingredients with whole free chicken without hormones or antibiotics and moderate energy ideal for adult maintenance feed for pet dogs or those in light work.
Comes highly recommended as it contain a blend of nutrients and natural supplements to help promote the optimum health, vitality and condition of your pet. Arden Grange dry food is specially designed to ensure maximum palatability and this recipe was taste tested by our own pets so that we can offer the assurance that it is a super-premium kibble dog food that your pets will enjoy!
High quality chicken with no growth hormones or antibiotics and provides essential proteins for structural and functional demands of your adult canine body.
Medium sized kibble suitable for most breeds of adult dog and chicken oils which are easily digestible and helpful for your dog.
Fresh Chicken and Rice is moderately energy dense, making it an ideal adult maintenance feed for pet dogs or those in light work.
Chicken oil comes in handy as it is the primary fat source because it is easily digested and most appropriate for the largely carnivorous needs of all dogs.
- Medium sized kibble suitable for most adult dog breeds.
- Easily digested due to the chicken oils availability.
- Moderately energy dense
- High proportion of chicken ingredients for essential proteins.
- Improves dogs’ coat.
- Safe and nutritious as there no hormones or antibiotics involved in chicken rearing.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
# 9. Royal Canin Dog Food
Canine veterinary diet is a complete and balanced dog food, specifically formulated for the precise nutrition of adult dogs with a tendency to be overweight or with digestive sensitivity, recommended for dogs above 12 months.
Great dietary food for those dog owners with issues of overweight, arthritic and want to shed off some of their dog weight as this is the best feed for your dog at an affordable price. Royal obesity diet is designed to help the dog’s digestive system metabolizes its food properly and lose excess weight, without staying hungry, yet feeling full and energetic throughout the day.
Ground maize, ground rice, pea bran meal, soybean meal, flaxseed, chicken and turkey meal, maize gluten meal, digest, cellulose, dried beet pulp, animal fat, fish oil, L-lysine hydrochloride, L-carnitine supplement, potassium chloride, salt, calcium carbonate, DL-methionine, taurine, L-tryptophan, L-threonine, vitamins and trace elements. Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, citric acid and rosemary extract.
- Helps maintain digestive health.
- Helps maintain healthy weight.
- Supports skin and coat health.
- 100% Complete and Balanced Nutrition.
- 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Rates 4.8 in Amazon.
# 10. Bakers Adult Dog Food
Your dog needs to be a healthy happy dog and this is certain with Bakers adult dog food as it offers a wide variety of tasty goodness, 100% complete and balanced meals packed with the everyday nutrients your dog needs.
Safe for your dog as it is free from artificial colours as only colours used are taken from plants, animal and mineral source good for you and your dog and the environment.
Yummy food for your furry friend as the recipe is made from tender meat chunks, wholegrains and country vegetables for quality and tasty meal that your dog will enjoy.
Cereals (whole grains 53%) Meat and Animal Derivatives (15% 1 in the Chunk) Derivatives of Vegetable Origin Vegetable Protein Extracts Oils and Fats Glycerol Vegetables (1% Dried Chicory Root (Natural Ingredient), Heart & Round Kernels: 0.6% Dried Vegetables, Equivalent to 4% Vegetables) Minerals Propylene Glycol 1 Equivalent to 30% Rehydrated Meat and Animal Derivatives, with min. 4% Chicken With colourants and antioxidants
- Contains prebiotics that help in healthy digestion.
- Has vitamin d and minerals to help in healthy teeth and bones.
- Gives your dog healthy skin and coat as it contain zinc and vitamin A.
- No artificial preservatives, colours or flavours.
- A source of essential Omega 6 fatty acids.
- With quality protein to help maintain body condition.
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon.
Though all dogs have the same basic nutritional requirements, what makes a certain product the best choice for your dog may vary according to his age, activity level, and specific dietary needs. We have provided a list of nutritious food with high-quality natural ingredients, protein-based with no synthetic colouring and preservatives as our main agenda is to ensure you get healthy food with nutritious excellence to make your dog look great and healthy.