The Best Pet Tracking Devices of 2018
Technology has now made it possible to keep tabs on our furry four legged friends from afar with dog trackers. We are now able to monitor our dogs with the best GPS locators, Wi-fi or Bluetooth usage and satellite mapping, to enable pet owners peace of mind whilst at home or away.
So, What exactly are Pet Trackers? Which ones are the Best? How do they work? How much will one cost me? Are they Real-time or offer On-demand data? These are just but a few questions we will hopefully answer as you read this article.
What are Pet Trackers?
A pet tracker can be defined as a device that uses different technologies to keep track of pet’s locations. The pet tracker devices are commonly attached to pet collars for dogs and cats to provide real time round the clock tracking, so you can monitor the movements of your pets. With the new trackers you point the exact location, making it easier to locate them if they become lost or stolen.
In the UK, councils deal with 66,000 lost, stolen, injured and stray dogs every year according to latest figures. Attaching a pet tracker to a beloved pooch may be one way to help reduce these numbers. Here at Rangers Dog, we have done the research to help inform your choice.
Best Dog Tracker
|Best Overall||Best Value||Best Performance|
|Name||Pod 3 - GPS Pet Tracker and Activity Monitor||Tractive GPS Pet Tracker||SportDOG TEK Series 2.0|
|Uses Zone & Geofence||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Can it be Upgraded||Yes||Yes||-|
|Has Subscription Fees||Yes||Yes||-|
Buyers Guide when choosing a tracker, please consider:
Is the tracker long lasting, is it waterproof, does it have a guarantee in case of defects? Consider if your pet is large and active.
- Battery life
Most trackers use battery, therefore consider how long the battery can last on one charge. Some dog can get lost for many days so ideally 3 days or 5 can make all the difference for your dog.
- Subscription costs
Some trackers require monthly or annual subscription costs, however not all do.
Cost in terms of subscription and maintenance should be clear and the dog owner should know is it monthly or annually subscription. But with the internet devices use of Google maps to ascertain your pet whereabouts has ensured the subscription is fading off.
The tracker should be accurate and fast in transmitting data. Some trackers can locate your dog to within inches while others have a wider locating radius of about 10 feet, hence consider this too.
THE 12 BEST DOG TRACKERS
#1 – Pod 3 Pet Tracker & Activity Monitor
Managing your pet’s health and safety has never been easier with escape alerts and activity monitoring on the Pod 3 tracker. Unlike Bluetooth trackers which have a limited range, Pod 3 has unlimited range in 175 countries across the globe with 4 layers of tracking technology making it easier to track indoor and outdoors. Weighing in at only 31 grams, the Pod 3 is a small, lightweight cylindrical tracker suited for all dog sizes even the smallest dogs without causing discomfort and that is why even cat lovers use them too. The Pod 3 is both stylish and subtle. The Pod 3 uses the 3 communication cornerstones of GPS tracking – Wi-Fi (which helps deliver faster positions and offers the ability to locate indoors), GSM Cellular and Bluetooth which gives it more access channels if one fails.
It’s perfect for outdoors as it is waterproof with IPX7 rating makes it superior to some of the other GPS brands.
Checkout Code: SAS517
- Global GPS pet tracker with escape alerts – Receive alerts on your phone when your pet leaves your set boundary.
- Activity monitoring – Monitor your pet’s fitness levels to make sure they are staying active.
- Record adventures – Record up to 8 hours of your pet’s secret life with continuous tracking.
- Global range: Pod works in 175 countries around the world. You can even locate between countries, which is awesome.
- GPS, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, 2G/3G Cellular Coverage,
- Re-usable Strap.
- The smallest GPS pet tracker that fits any size collar – suitable for both dogs and as a cat tracker
- Designed for pets and pet parents – the small fully waterproof unit includes removable batteries.
- 4 tracking technologies allow you to track your pet indoors and outdoors.
- Cell reception is required for the Pod to communicate back to the app, using 2G & 3G network.
Never lose your dog again with Tractive Dog tracker. The tractive GPS pet tracker is the best-selling Global Positioning System tracker on Amazon. The Tractive GPS tracking device for pets and other animals will always let you know where your pet is, check the location of your pet in a browser or using one of their free mobile apps for smartphones (iPhone, Android, Windows Phone). It is the smallest GPS tracking device with an integrated Sim-card which can be securely attached to your dog collar and allows you to track your dog from your computer or smartphone. You are able to view your dog when it leaves home and where it is heading and if it leaves the speculated area an alert is sent to you. It has a reliable real-time location tracking and the monthly service fee is affordable, starting at £4.49(price may change). Typically Tractive should work wherever your cell phone works, but 100% coverage cannot be guaranteed. Tractive has no SMS costs and hidden fees. The service fee is a flat fee. Tractive offers different service options.
- Compatible with iOS, Android and window smartphone.
- Batteries last 2-5 days when fully charged.
- Used to track cats, horses, and kids, cars, suitcases, people, and pet.
- Lightweight 35g and waterproof.
- Smallest GPS tracking device with an integrated SIM-card.
- Reliable real-time location tracking, requires T-Mobile coverage.
- Safety adhered to- The integrated light not only helps to find missing pets in the dark, but also increases the visibility of your pet when going for a walk close to roads.
- Easy to set making it the simplest pet tracker yet effective on the market.
- Enables you to track your pet live over the internet or the Tractive Apps.
- Tractive uses GPS and communicates through cell phone towers, which enable you to track your pet 24/7.
- Monthly fee paid, since using the cell phone towers and infrastructure has costs associated with it, a small monthly or annual fee has to be charged by Tractive.
- GPS device relies on cell services so will not work out of range.
Coupon Code: S9YALE18
#3 – Dynotag web/GPS Enabled Tracker
A Dynotag is a Web-enabled, GPS assisted QR Smart Tag that can be read using a smartphone or any modern web browser. Made from strong steel and coated with a protective layer, this deluxe waterproof/weatherproof property tag is handsome and tough and has a braided stainless steel loop included It operates anywhere on the globe with internet coverage. Maintenance is free as no monthly subscription is required. It is easy to set up, requires no batteries and if your pet is lost you will be notified of your dogs’ location as soon as the QR code is scanned using any smartphone.
- Simple to use: Just create a free account at Dynotag.com, sign in, then click activate tag on top.
- Secure activation makes sure only the tag owner can manage the tag, others can only view it.
- No app needed every dynotag has a private web page that is addressed by the QR code or the provided unique web address – this enables a dynotag to be easily readable by smartphones (scan the QR code) or any web browser on any computer by visiting the included unique web address.
- Works anywhere on the planet with Internet. You do not have to be in the vicinity of your tag to update its contents, just sign into your Dynotag account and update your tag content as you need.
- Tough, waterproof, weatherproof. NO electronics to break, NO batteries to die when you need them most. All needed functionality and ample room included for life,
- NO subscription plan is needed.
- Offer advanced security features that include enabling/disabling of the tag by the owner.
- Password protection of the tag information as directed by the owner, as well as password protection of individual files uploaded.
- Made from strong steel and coated with a protective layer, this deluxe waterproof/weatherproof property tag is handsome, tough and functional.
- Comes with a braided stainless steel loop to securely attach to any property.
#4 – SafePet4Me Tracker Review
SAFEPET4ME, SPM4M-18, is waterproof, lightweight and sleek. It also works based on existing GSM/GPRS network and GPS satellites. SP4M-18 can locate and monitor any remote targets by SMS or internet. It is the most advanced technology of GPS and AGPS dual positioning. Its software is supported by an Apple application (free download from iTunes) or Google Maps to ensure you can always monitor where the tracker is. The accuracy is within five meters via updates sent every five seconds, the ability to replay one year of stored history among its features. The Ability to hear sounds around the trackers via cell phone (limited) and settings that can be pre-programmed to send a text message to authorized phone numbers if the tracker goes over the pre-programmed speed limit. This FCC–certified pet tracker is attached to an existing pet collar or dog harness with a clip or chain. Weighs 2 ounces and is suitable for dogs. It is fast to connect for tracking it takes 45 to 120 seconds. The free pet tracking app is downloadable on iOS and Android device. The SafePet4Me tracking system support geo-fencing hence you are able to set safe zones for your pet and receive alerts if the dog leaves the area. It updates you after 5 seconds and accuracy of this GPS pet tracking system is within 16 feet. The cons include being one of the expensive pet trackers on the market and does not have a review yet on Amazon to gauge it.
- Easily available on iTunes and Google maps.
- Fast and accurate-updates after every 5 seconds.
- Waterproof and lightweight- 2 ounces.
- Software that is supported by an Apple application (free download from iTunes) or Google Maps.
- The free pet tracking app is downloadable on iOS and Android devices.
- Can locate and monitor any remote targets by SMS or internet.
- Geo-fence- can be pre-programmed to send a text message to authorized phone numbers if the tracker goes over the pre-programmed speed limit.
- Has the ability to replay one year of stored history.
- One of the expensive pet trackers on the market.
- No review yet on Amazon to gauge it.
OUT OF STOCK
#5 – Garmin Alpha 100/TT 15 Mini Bundle Review
Garmin Alpha 100/TT 15 mini bundle is a multi-dog tracking GPS and remote training device in one, and an invaluable tool in the field, it helps you achieve optimum performance from your sporting dogs. It combines proven Garmin GPS dog tracking with Tri-Tronics electronic dog training technology. This easy-to-use integrated handheld system allows you to track and train your dogs in the field at a range of up to 9 miles (TT 15) or 4 miles (TT 15 mini) away, delivering their exact position as often as every 2.5 seconds. Track Your Dogs by measuring each dog’s speed, distance and the direction being traveled. Plus, receive notifications when a dog is on the move or stationed at one place. A single Alpha 100 can track up to 20 dogs or fellow hunters by receiving signals from additional Alpha 100 handhelds, TT 15 and TT 15 mini dog devices (each sold separately). Or, choose tracking only with the new T5 or T5 mini dog devices. With competitions that do not allow stimulation, tone or vibe, the compatible T 5 or T 5 mini tracking devices are an excellent alternative. And, if you’re using a vehicle to follow and retrieve your dogs, the Garmin Drive Track 70 dog tracker and GPS navigator (sold separately) provides an easy-to-watch pictorial solution. The 7-inch moving map display shows dog positions overlaid on TOPO contours or satellite image views – along with navigation cues that help point you to your dog’s current location. With BirdsEye Satellite Imagery (subscription required) it allows you to have a better-than-real-life view of terrain, including roads, water, woods and more. Alpha 100 helps you train and control your dogs to stop chasing unwanted game. Easy to access training buttons allow you to communicate separately to each dog through safe and effective features, including 18 levels of momentary and 18 levels of continuous stimulation or an audible tone or vibe command. Plus, a lockout setting is available to avoid accidental stimulation or tone. When using the TT 15 or TT 15 mini, you can switch to Rescue Mode to prolong the battery life. This mode conserves the battery life of the TT 15 or TT 15 mini, giving you more time to search for and locate your dog. With their BaseCamp software it is easy to plan your trips as it lets you view and organize maps, waypoints, routes, and tracks.
- Glove-friendly transflective, 65-K color 3-inch touchscreen.
- Preloaded maps make outdoor recreation activities fun with automatic road maps set.
- Know where other hunters in your group are. Set your Alpha to show not only the dogs in your group, but also the other Alpha handhelds too (up to 20 TT 10/15/15 mini or Alpha units.
- Keep Your Dogs on Track-From the training screen, correct and recall multiple dogs (with extra TT 10/15/15 mini devices) with the help of Tri-Tronics electronic training.
- Can setup virtual boundaries on your map and receive an alert if your dog strays out of your geofence so you can recall him right away.
- Track and Train Your Dogs based on where they are with BirdsEye Satellite Imagery. These highly-detailed raster maps provide a realistic bird’s eye view of roads, parking areas, buildings, and terrain, including tree lines, lakes, rivers and streams. They are a great way to supplement the comprehensive topographic maps on your Alpha.
- Track and Train 20 Dogs up to 9 miles (TT 15) or 4 miles (TT 15 mini) away, from the compass screen, get in-depth speed, direction traveling and distance away information for any dogs you have selected and correct any dog on this screen without falsely correcting the others.
- Get the information you always need, like your dog’s state (moving or on-point/treed), distance from the Alpha device, total distance traveled, speed and update rate, all on one screen.
- Electronic compass
- Hunter-to-hunter position reporting with preset messaging capability.
- 18 training levels of continuous and momentary stimulation.
- Tone and vibration alerts
- Measures dogs’ speed and distance traveled.
- Garmin Connect compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data).
- Not compatible with Astro.
#6 – FitBark Dog monitor Review
FitBark Dog monitor Inspire a healthy lifestyle for your dog, and you as you can set relevant health goals (vs. similar dogs) and monitor your dog’s everyday activity like ramp runs and sleep 24/7. Chart your dog’s progress next to yours linking your personal fitness tracker. Get peace of mind when travelling, or when apart. Enable your friends, dog walkers, daycares, boarding providers, vets and anyone else in the life of your pet to share memorable moments with you via the Fitbark journal. Dog trainers love this specifically for its advanced fitness features. Get new behavioural and medical monitoring insights. Watch your dog closely when they are not feeling well. Monitor the development of certain issues (for example, post-surgical recovery, rehabilitation, osteoarthritis, separation anxiety, dermatitis, weight loss etc.) and make better decisions with your vet. Fitbark is beautiful & tiny (8 grams), and fits snugly on the collar of dogs of any size. It is also rugged and waterproof and has battery life up to 14 days.
- Monitor your dog’s everyday activity 24/7 and set health goals.
- Explain changes in behavior (rest, active and play time).
- Compare with similar dogs and even yourself.
- Make better decisions with your vet and share memorable moments with friends and family.
- Beautiful, tiny (8 grams, fits dogs of any size), rugged and waterproof.
#7 – SportDOG Tek 2.0 Tracker Review
This tracking device is suitable for dogs weighing over eight pounds with a neck size of 13 inches or more. It works with FHSS, GPS and GLONASS which is a secondary satellite system and therefore does not need a cellular network to operate hence no monthly subscription. It has a seven-mile tracking range. FHSS which is short for Frequency Hopping Spread Spectrum and what that does is it provides immunity to signal interference & allows for higher transmitter output power, resulting in superior range performance. It has a range of 10 miles or 16km. It can be submersible up to 7.6m of water and the handheld device 1.5m as it is waterproof. It can be used to track a pack of dogs up to 21 dogs at once using additional collars. With fully loaded colour maps that help provide you with the location of your dog, or 21 dogs at once. SportDOG ensures that its features prove this is the pinnacle of tracking perfection. The Map Offers a full-screen view of any map data that has been loaded on the Handheld Device. A GPS cursor displays your current location and additional GPS-related information. The handheld device has 8 hours of battery life and collar has 24 hours per charge on a 3-second reporting. It is durable and long lasting which can stay for 5 years. It comes with a 2 years manufacturers warranty. It can also be used for dogs on training or hiking.
Issues with the tracking device are that it is more expensive than others, however it is one of the most advanced tracking devices in the market.
- Up to 16 km range using HopTek technology
- Track up to 21 dogs or Handheld Devices.
- DRYTEK GPS collar – waterproof and submersible up to 7.6m. Handheld Device is waterproof and submersible up to 1.5 m
- Unlimited lifetime map updates.
- Included desktop application for downloads and updates.
#8 – Loc8tor (Lite) Pet GPS for Dogs review
Loc8tor pet GPS has been an award-winning product. It is small and light; the handset is the size of a credit card weighing 5 grams making it extremely easy to use where ever it’s needed. It will pick up the signal emitting from your pet’s collar as soon as you press the locate button, provided you’re in range. It has a splash-proof case making it durable. It has a locate mode which alerts you when your dog leaves a predefined boundary.
- Great Range – Up to 122 meters /400 feet (clear line of sight).
- Ultra-portable – Handset is the size of a credit card.
- Direction finding transmitter for cats with precise direction details.
- Tabcat Detector for cats, dogs, keys and mobile phones, it will take you directly on to your pet or item
- Visual and acoustic signal of the hand the unit and the transmitter take you up to 2 cm to the pet.
- Has to be within range- to be in a tracked specified area.
- Not ideal for hilly or mountain areas as it has to be within a clear line of sight.
# 9 – Whistle GPS Pet Tracker
Whistle GPS is the most popular selling GPS Pet tracker as it offers you 3 distinctive characters most dog lovers will want: 1. On-demand notifications on a smartphone, 2. Track and find your pet anywhere on our map app and can switch to satellite view, 3. Health benefits as you can set custom goals and identify behaviour changes based on trends. Whistle 3 combines GPS, cellular and Wi-Fi technology to give you the most comprehensive and accurate tracking nationwide. The device attaches to your dog’s collar with a plastic clip and a rubber strap. The Whistle itself is water-resistant (not waterproof), with an IP67 rating.
- Can set custom safe places using Wi-Fi and get quick alerts.
- Track and find your pet anywhere 24/7.
- View your pet activities for the last 24 hours.
- Pet can go with you swimming as the device is durable and waterproof.
- Can check on multiple pet with one account.
- Long battery life.
- Set activity goals and track progress.
- The Whistle connects to the Internet over 3G only.
- No adventure tracking.
#10 – Pebbell GPS Tracker
The Pebbell GPS Tracker is compact and ideal for any pet. This GPS Dog Collar tracking device is small and fits on any collar & harness. It’s ideal for anyone who can’t or won’t use a conventional mobile phone. The reason why this one has been added even though it’s actually on the expensive side is its main feature, the alarm. Therefore, it has multifunctional capability. It can be used by families of people living with dementia, carers for people living with medical conditions and families with children too also it is so easy to adapt to a dog. If your dog is lost and someone finds your dog but cannot find you, the finder just needs to press the SOS button. Once this has been pressed; an SOS text message is sent to all the registered contacts (3 nominated SOS contacts) that contain key information about the status of the device. The Pebbell’s two-way speech allows you to directly communicate with the contact. If your dog is one that catch you by surprise and jumps of the car dog ramp and legs it, this could be ideal for you as it has an SOS button.
- Inbuilt rechargeable battery with an adapter.
- SOS Alarm Button.
- Full Roaming UK and EU SIM.
- LIVE GPS Tracking and Lost Signal.
- Fall Detection and Movement Sensor.
- Long Battery Life of 10 days and Low Battery warning.
- Geo-fence Location Alerts.
- Lightweight 35g.
- Two-way communication so you can chat to pet finder.
- Need a human to activate SOS button.
- Not ideal for hunting or extreme weather walking (not waterproof).
#11 – Kippy GPS Tracker Monitor
With the Kippy GPS easy App you always know where your pet is and what it does, with no limits of tracking and unlimited distance. It gives tips and if you create a “safe area” Kippy Vita will notify you if your pets goes outside. The Kippy Vita GPS is made of steel making it more cumbersome. It weighs 45g which is bigger than majority of the better trackers we review. It does have a unique design though with different coloured fascias and has an app for both IOS and Android which is very handy for smart phone users. It is waterproof, shockproof and tough and also comes with a generous 2 year warranty.
- Has an anti-shock feature which ensures the safety of your pet.
- GPS can provide you with updates every six seconds.
- You can set customized goals and ensure that they are met.
- It is easy to install on the harness.
- 4 days battery life (not 7 as advertised).
- The product feels bulky.
- The GPS occasionally lags at times and would require no obstacles and clear skies for it to respond to its full capability.
- Monthly subscription fee.
#12 – ReachFar GPS Pet Tracker
The ReachFar GPS dog tracker is a paw print (very original) designed dog tracker which clips on to an existing collar. Although it looks simple this tracking device is fully packed with amazing features and is also easy on the wallet. One catching feature which captured me on this device is its Wi-Fi Anti-lost feature; you can set two Wi-Fi address as the safe area. If your pet gets out of the safe range of your home, it will send an alarm message to let you know.
- Two Wi-Fi area used as safe zones (primary & secondary Wi-Fi address).
- The ReachFar tracker has a normal mode and an accurate mode which can be activated for a real lost dog situation.
- Has an LED light feature which comes on automatically when it gets dark. Ideal for late night or early winter morning dog walkers as it gives you the dogs visual location.
- Rustproof and waterproof,
- Keeps historic location logs.
- 3 days tracking time.
- 10 days Battery life.
- Fairly easy to use App.
Each Dog tracker/tracking device has its own pros and cons, use this article to make an informed decision.
Garmin Alpha almost took our overall favourite because of its durability, accuracy, and ability to track up to 20 dogs at ago and can be used for training. This is a streamlined GPS tracker you can attach to the collar your dog already wears. Whistle and Pod trackers allow you to define virtual “safe areas” around your home like his dog house, however, the Pod 3 Pet Tracker takes the crown with great useful features like the ultrasonic module which mimics a dog whistle and a torch along with the activity monitor, and not forgetting it is also stylish. It’s advisable to always keep your dog on the leads even with a tracker and in those early days, when you are offering your puppy dog training, keep them on one of these best retractable dog lead and adjustable dog leash until you can fully trust them to obey you.
Dog toys are great for keeping your pooch occupied. As mentioned in this piece playtime is essential for dogs and good for their mental and physical health. Check out some of the best indestructible dog toys, soft toys, chucking toys amongst other durable puppy & dog toys in our top picks.
Dog crates are great for keeping your puppy and dog safe and easy to transport. In this article, you will find out what constitutes a good dog crate, some helpful tips for determining which crate would be best for your puppy if you are a first-time dog owner.
#check our Recommended Dog camera article