Last updated: January 2nd 2021’.
The Best Dog Leads of 2021
When we first debated doing our research into the 10 best dog leads, we weren’t really sure what we could find that was different, innovative or in the least bit interesting to read about! A lead is a lead, right? We attach it to our dog’s collar and off we go. Walkies!
However, we’re dog lovers. We want the best products for our pets. We want to know if there’s something that makes walking our pooch as comfortable as possible when he tugs on the lead to dive into the bushes, and not hurt our tired joints. Then there’s those of us who walk multiple dogs at one time. What is available for them? Do you go running and take your furry friend?
Recently, we were sent a few dog leads which we were so impressed with that the are included in our feature, and inspired us to research what else is on the market to compare them to. Our list of the 10 best dog leads is the culmination of this, and aims to enlighten you to some of the best selling and highly regarded dog leads on the shelves in 2021. We’ve tried to include leads for different purposes to give you an idea of the different styles available. Of course, there are so many dog leads from a completely basic, low budget short lead with no fancy features, to an all singing all dancing retractable lead with reflective features and dog poo bag and treat holders!
Have a look, and let us know what you think.
#1. EzyDog Zero Shock Dog Lead | Shock Absorbing Leash
This lead from Ezydog was the lead which really inspired us! We hadn’t seen anything like it before and our independent product testers all thought it was brilliant, much reducing the pressure between dog and owner when they pulled on the lead, the bungee style lead absorbs the ‘shock’ and makes walking more comfortable.
The lead is made from a double density soft nylon, with reflective trim and neoprene lining in the handle. There is a traffic control handle situated near the dog’s collar meaning you can get closer control on your dog in those situations.
We gratefully received several Ezydog products in exchange for a review recently, you can read our full review here. However it was our free choice to include it in our ‘top 10’ article! We’re sure you’ll agree, particularly if you do have a dog which pulls somewhat, this lead is a really innovative product and one we’re more than happy to recommend.
- PATENTED ‘ZERO SHOCK’ TECHNOLOGY – improves control, cushions pulling and eases pressure for the both owner and the dog.
- PADDED WATERPROOF HANDLE – made from soft waterproof neoprene to increase durability and comfort.
- HIGH-QUALITY REFLECTIVE TRIM & SOFT TOUCH WEBBING – to improve visibility, lead life and night time safety.
- TRAFFIC CONTROL HANDLE & D RING – to give you closer control and for accessories.
- AWARD WINNING COMBINATIONS – all our leads are compatible with our award-winning Harnesses & Collars. (Works with other brand products too).
- Rates 4.7/5 on Amazon
#2. Flexi Design Retractable Lead
One of the best known brands for retractable dog leads, Flexi is a German brand who are the market leader in over 90 countries (source – flexi.de). The leads allow you to keep a control of your dog but also give him freedom at the same time. We had a terrier who had to be on a lead at all times, and we always used a flexi lead. The flexi cord adjusts automatically as your dog walks, but of course you are still in control and have the brake system to stay safe.
Flexi leads also have the option to add the ‘Multibox’ which can hold treats or poop bags, and LED lighting system for extra safety at night, available for separate purchase. A lot of thought has been put into the detail of these leads, and they really do withstand their reputation.
- 5 m tape lead which can be accessorized with the multi box and/or the led lighting system, for dogs up to 25 kg, as an introduction to the world of custom retractable leads
- Intuitive handling, thanks to convenient brake button and ergonomic grip
- Fast, reliable response by the short-stop one-handed braking system
- Reflective bite belt for improved visibility in the dark
- Made in Germany
#3. Halti Training Lead
The Halti lead is specifically designed for no-pull dog training, the specific focus of the Halti brand. It features two trigger hooks and multiple D-rings which allow for more versatility of lead length and options for its use, including short lead length for heel training, medium length for obedience training, long length for recall, a hands-free option (round owner’s waist), use for safe tethering, and for two dogs at one time. Now if that isn’t a versatile lead, what is?! All for a really low budget cost, it really is worth considering if you’re training a pup. You could pair this lead with the Halti no-pull harness which we feature in our 10 best dog harnesses review.
- The HALTI Training Lead, designed by Dr. Roger Mugford, is a ﬁrm favourite with dog trainers worldwide due to its versatility and comfort in use
- Available in two different widths (Small: 15mm / Large: 25mm) and a choice of red or black, it is a multi-functional, double-ended lead that can be used in 8 different ways with a maximum length of 2 metres
- It is made from soft padded material, which makes it very comfortable to hold and perfect for all types of training
- With three different lead length options, the HALTI Training Lead can be used for general walking or obedience training
- When used in conjunction with a HALTI Headcollar or Harness, the double trigger clip design provides optimum steering and control for non-pull training
#4. Barkswell Hands Free Running Dog Lead
If you’re a runner and you need a lead for taking your pooch too, a hands free lead is the perfect choice. With a bungee style lightweight lead, the force of an excitable dog is absorbed, while staying strong enough to keep him close to you. The bungee stretches from 3ft to 4.5ft. The belt has a D ring which rotates around the belt to keep your dog where you want them. Reflective stitching adds high viz for runs in the dark. A really reasonably priced lead for specialist activity, this product is highly rated not just for running but being able to simple walk, hands free.
- HIGH QUALITY Handsfree Dog Lead by Barkswell. Allows your Hands Freedom while Walking, Running or Jogging with your Dog.
- SHOCK ABSORBING LEAD Stretches from 3 Foot to 4.5 Foot to Allow Your Dog a Little Freedom while Jogging. The Leash can Hold Dogs up to 60 Kg
- ADJUSTABLE WAIST BELT Adjusts from 28 inches to 48 inches for your comfort.
- ZIPPED POUCH with 2 Lined Compartments (15 cm x 9 cm x 3 cm approx) Keeps your Phone and Keys Separate to Prevent Scratching of Phone Screen. Also Handy to Have a spot for Poop Bags if your Pooch Needs a Toilet Stop
- REFLECTIVE STITCHING on Waist Belt and Lead Helps to Keep You and your Dog Safe when Walking or Running at Twilight or Night Time
- Rates 4.8/5 on Amazon
#5. Embark Pets Illuminate Reflective Dog Lead
Several months ago, we were sent one of these leads by Embark and were mightily impressed by its design. We teamed it with the Illuminate Reflective Collar, and simply couldn’t find another product quite the same. Essentially, the lead has 360 degree reflective visibility, great for walking at night. High visibility is the key design feature of the Illuminate products, rather than a bonus feature of a reflective strip – the whole lead is completely visible.
The rest of the features are of what you would expect as standard for a good dog lead; a heavy duty attachment clip, sturdy material construction with handle, and standard length of 5ft (medium and large sizes). It is a highly rated product, surprisingly low priced and we love it.
- Our Illuminate Reflective Dog lead is 360° reflective and drastically increases your dog’s visibility at night, allowing your dog to be seen from over 300 feet away by car headlights.
- Our reflective lead features a heavy-duty clip which holds 2x the recommended standard pulling strength. The aluminum alloy clip allows these leads for large dogs designed to withstand strong pullers. The clip makes the Illuminate dog lead a great dog training leash
- Matching collar and harness is available
- The Illuminate Dog Lead is also an ideal all around lead for small, medium or large dogs. Medium Lead is 5 Feet Long and 2 CM in width. Large Lead is 5 Feet long and 2.5 CM in width
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE – We guarantee you’ll love the look, feel and quality of our lead or we’ll replace it or refund your purchase.
- Rates 4.9/5 on Amazon
#6. Heavy Duty Dog Lead with Padded Handle
A simple, double layer webbed dog lead which comes in a range of lengths and widths to suit all dog sizes, this lead also comes in multiple colour options and all at a great lower budget price.
With a neoprene padded handle for user comfort, and a heavy duty 360 swivel clasp to attach to the collar, the manufacturer also offer a lifetime warranty for defects in materials and workmanship.
- Comfy Padded Handle – made of neoprene
- 360° Rotating Clasp – heavy duty aviation carabiner
- More Durable, Much Safer
- Luminous thread running through the leash for added night visability
- Size Guidance: Lengths are measured from end to top, including loop handle and metal clasp. Leashes of 1 inch in width with larger clasp are suggested for medium to large dogs, 3/5 inch in width with smaller and lighter claps are suggested for small to medium dogs
- Lifetime Warranty: Vivaglory guarantees against defects in materials and workmanship of our dog leashes for lifetime.
- Rated 4.7/5 on Amazon
#7. Blueberry Pet Lead with Soft & Comfortable Handle
If you are looking to pay a bit more, but want a durable and aesthetically pleasing pick at the same time, consider a leather lead like this range from Blueberry Pet. It features a combination of soft luxury leather and heavy duty polyester webbing in a range of classic striped colour combinations. So, not your typical leather lead which is wholly made of leather, but a trendy mixture combining style and substance. We like the matching collars available too, perhaps bought together these would make a lovely gift for any discerning dog lover.
- Length 180 cm, Width 2 cm; The lead does not stretch itself
- This is not a typical ‘all-leather’ dog lead. It is made with a combination of polyester webbing and high quality genuine leather to offer unique features. The polyester webbing provides supreme flexibility and comfort for your pups. Differences in color shading, scratch/marks and grain are the inherent characteristics of the natural leathers
- Matching collars available separately
- Care: Do not wash, wipe to clean; Do not bleach, dry clean, or iron
- Rates 4.5/5 on Amazon
#8. Sweetie Double Dog Lead No Tangle – Dual Lead Splitter for Walking 2 Medium, Large Dogs
Here’s a good dog lead for walking two dogs at once. This is cleverly designed as a 3-in-1 lead; it can be used as a double lead or two separate leads, with an adjustable length of 40″ to 48″ meaning you can walk dogs of different sizes together, by choosing the right length for each dog. It has a neoprene padded handle for user comfort, a tangle free swivel piece and two swivel clips preventing the dogs becoming tangled. The manufacturer offers a lifetime guarantee with this lead, and it comes highly rated by many reviewers too. It’s a good price especially when you consider the alternative cost of two individual leads.
Enjoy the most convenient and comfortable way to walk two dogs with the Sweetie Double Dog Lead!
- 2.5 cm wide strong nylon
- Reflective stitching. Our leads have integrated reflective stitching which stands out distinctly at night or in foggy conditions. It keeps you and your dog visible, and safe.
- 6.7 cm large heavy duty metal swivel clip works with any collar or harness.
- Soft neoprene padded handle for total hand comfort
- Adjustable length 14” to 48” so you can walk two different size dogs with ease.
- Rates 4.7/5 on Amazon
#9.Dog & Field Figure 8 Anti Pull Lead / Halter
If you have a dog that pulls on the lead, this best selling anti pull halter lead will help to put an end to that. We were a little sceptical looking at these at first, but our research has really changed our opinion. From people calling it a ‘miracle’ solution, to describing a ‘completely different dog’ after using the lead, a figure of 8 lead like this is worth considering especially if you are struggling to keep your dog safely under control. As with almost everything, it won’t be a cure for all dogs who pull, but undoubtedly has been a game changer for plenty of happy dog owners. Made from a soft nylon rope, it is made with you and your dog’s comfort in mind, and is realistically priced.
- Easy to Fit. Simple and Very Effective – Instructions Included
- Super Soft Braided Nylon Anti-Pull System – Proven to Stop Your Dog Pulling
- Highly Durable Soft Nylon Rope That is Kind to You and Your Dog
- 200cm Length – The Optimum Length For A Comfortable Walk
- 8mm Diameter – Based on Research 0.8cm Comfortably Covers All Dog Breeds
- Rates 4.4/5 on Amazon
#10. 5 FT Strong Dog Lead with Comfortable Padded Handle and Highly Reflective Threads
We thought we’d finish off with a highly practical basic rope lead which still has plenty of great features – a highly rated best selling lead we couldn’t ignore. We don’t all need a lead for a particular purpose such as training or running, sometimes we just want a simple yet functional lead. These 5ft leads are made of nylon climbing ropes with a high density anti-bite layer inside. It is strong and lightweight, with heavy swivel attachment clips. The handle is EVA padded to provide comfort, and reflective threads are incorporated in the rope to provide night visibility. It comes in a lovely range of colours too.
- STRONG AND DURABLE – The strength is nearly 2x that of the same type of rope! Weight only 0.5 pounds, light and sturdy enough for small, medium and large dogs pulling.
- HIGH-QUALITY METAL CLIPS – Used high-quality heavy duty zinc alloy clips, Tested to withstand an instantaneous impact of 400 pounds; 360 degree swivel design.
- COMFORTABLE HANDLE – The soft padded handle make it fits comfortably in the hand while controlling your dog, protects your hand from rope burn.
- REFLECTIVE FOR NIGHT SAFETY – JBYAMUK dog leash uses wider double reflector threads keeps you both safe and visible when you late-evening walks.
- PERFECT FOR DAILY USE – 5 FT is the perfect length to keep your dog free and under your control.
- Rates 4.8/5 on Amazon
I really hope we at RangersDog have come up with ten best dog leads available; from basic to best and everything in between. We spend a lot of time doing our research, and we’re always open to suggestions and ideas on what you think are the best products available today.