‘Last updated: January 2nd 2021’.
No more struggling with putting collars and leashes over your pet’s head. A dog harness allows you to walk your pet with confidence and eliminates pressure from your dog’s neck preventing possible neck, spine, and windpipe injuries. A harness for your puppy or dog can help with various situations in comparison to just using a simple leash and collar.
Even if your dog is not a puller, he or she could be injured wearing a collar if they make a quick move to chase a squirrel, dog, or person. Our favourite harnesses come in a range of colors, sizes, and styles to suit every need and price range.
What is a Dog Harness?
A dog harness consists of straps of webbing that loop nearly around the torso of the dog and are fastened together using side-release buckles to a dog lead: also known as a pet harness. It is commonly used on puppies, dogs being trained and dogs that pull a lot. Wearing a harness disperses the pressure from one smaller area on the neck, to the back and the body and therefore, spread the stress over a larger surface area reducing the risk of harm to your dog and giving you better control of your dog.
Why Get a Dog Harness?
Dog harnesses are useful for teaching your dog not to pull as the pressure from a harness is more evenly distributed around your dog’s body. It is obvious that small and medium dogs lack the neck strength to handle a collar since it wraps around the animal’s neck. It restrains your pet, keeping it from moving around.
A Harness provides greater support to growing puppies and dogs and even more for injured or handicapped canine than a collar as it aids your pet in various activities/playing during recovery. It supports your dog during walking, standing or climbing stairs and give you control to walk your dog comfortably. Most adoption dog centres and vets recommend using a harness.
How to use a dog harness
Well, you’ll love just how easy it is once you get your dog into a harness! But what really makes a harness a must-have is how secure it is and the control it offers you as the dog owner. So you’ll never have to worry about your dog wiggling out of the harness while on your walks and embarrassing you.
We have taken the time to test and research, and hope we have brought you ten of the best harnesses in the market today.
Whatever kind of dog you have, there’s a harness to suit them! How do we know? Check our summary table below:
This table is regularly updated.
10 of the Best Dog Harnesses in the market
# 1. Julius K9 power harness
Dogs that pull need a quality product that can last long and can take the strain from your active dog. Julius power harness is made exclusively of materials made in the EU and meets the most stringent quality standards.
Designed to be highly durable, secure and comfortable, the front chest strap has been lowered 30 degrees to follow the natural chest shape of the dog.
Julius K9 is a brand that professionals in dog handling and training trust and use – including police and service dogs, as well as many individual dog owners too. This is a reflection of the very superior nature of the products they manufacture.
The K9 harness is available in a wide range of sizes and colours to suit your dogs’ personality and needs.
- Chest circumference: 82-115 cm, weight of the dog: 40 -80 kg.
- The closeable handle allows the dog to be held firmly and lifted securely.
- Heavy duty buckle for safety and comfort.
- Water repellent surface.
- Interchangeable hook and loop patches.
- Glows in the dark keeping you and your dog visible in dim light.
- Skin friendly inner layer keeping your dog comfy.
- Torch holder Walla! In case you need light at night while walking.
- Rates 4.7 in Amazon.
# 2. Embark Adventure No-Pull Dog Harness
The Embark adventure harness has featured in our top-10 review since its conception last year, and we recently had the pleasure of being sent some Embark products to keep our canine friends happy! See our full review for more detail on how Shadow the staffy took to her harness. Overall, we were really satisfied with the Embark dog harnesses.
The adventure harness is easy to get on and off and adjust, it is comfy with plenty of padding, ideal for longer active walks. It definitely increases comfort for the dog, even a strong willed staffy who likes to pull, and provides extra control for the owner. There are two attachment points; the front point being for training purposes to teach the dog not to pull, and the back for every day walking.
The harness comes in a range of colour and size options, and is great value for money considering its quality. Rangers dog recommends, and we’ll happily have another!
- Ultra-reflective strips to keep your dog visible even at night.
- Easy to put on and take off saves you time.
- Unique adjustable strap design for a secure, comfy fit.
- Top easy lift handle for extra safety and control.
- 1 Year Warranty, Satisfaction Guaranteed.
- Durable, high quality, Lightweight made from no-rip nylon.
- Anti-chafe padding for comfort.
- Quadruple Stitching and military grade thread for durability.
- 2 modes – No Pull (Front Range training mode) and regular mode.
- Customizable sizing for secure fit.
- Handle for additional assistance control and lifting if your dog is senior, elderly, disabled or recovering from injury or a service do.
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon.
# 3. Rabbitgoo No-Pull Pet Harness
We give this harness top marks for its easy fit capability, since it comes with two leash-connection points, making it great as a no pull harness, plus it has a total of four adjustable straps to keep your dog secure. If you are manoeuvring tight spaces like busy road pavements and entrances it comes with a handy back handle for extra control. It has ultra-bright reflective strips for visibility and this is good news for night dog walkers.
Rabbitgoo comes in four sizes and lots of colours. It is manufactured from nylon Oxford which is soft and durable, and the cushioned breastplate is breathable too.
- Reflective night visibility strip.
- Easy release side buckles.
- Comes in a range of colours.
- Comes in 4 sizes
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
#4. RUFFWEAR All-Day Adventure Harness
The Ruffwear Harness is an everyday harness that is easy to put on and comfortable for dogs to wear.
The harness features two lead attachment points: one ring centred on the dog’s back for everyday walks, and strong nylon webbing at the dog’s chest for training or additional control. An ID pocket is an additional bonus for storing your dog’s tag.
The Front Range Harness is available in 5 sizes and is comfortable all day for your furry friend. Will give your dog freedom to run and play as it offers solutions for lift-and-assist, training or leash pulling, and everyday adventures.
Made from environment- friendly materials ideal for outdoor pursuits like backpacking, skiing, river running, mountain biking. Customizable fit with four points of adjustment allows for full range of motion. This is a nice harness, great for long active days, we like the options for attachment and ID pocket.
- Low-light visibility with reflective trim.
- ID pocket stores dog tags.
- Secure fasteners.
- Hand wash.
- Air dry.
- High-quality dog harness for everyday wear.
- Perfect for border collies, Samoyeds and similar sized breeds
- Size can be Adjustable shoulder, chest and belly straps for customised fit.
- Easy on and off, 2 lead attachment points for ultimate control.
- Padded chest and belly panels for comfort
- Sturdy and lightweight nylon material.
- Rates 4.6 in Amazon.
# 5. Hurtta Active Harness
Is your dog always on the move? If so, the Hurtta Active is an ideal choice.
It is pleasant to wear and unobtrusive while active and the adjustable collar and chest strap ensure your dog will have a more comfortable fit as it pulls.
The vest has improved visibility in the dark with reflectors keeping you both safe from cars and bike riders.
This harness also features a nifty handle on its back, which can even be used to thread a seat belt through to tether your dog for journeys in the car.
- Has a size chart to get your dog perfect chest fit for comfort.
- Side located buckles – no need to lift your dogs legs to get into the harness.
- Has a fully adjustable collar and chest strap to ensure a perfect fit.
- Comfortable for your pet with buckles above the harness padding
- Better visibility in the dark with 3M reflectors throughout
- Rates 4.5 in Amazon.
# 6. Embark Illuminate Reflective Dog Harness
You can’t help but notice that many of the features of other harnesses are reflective trims for more visibility. However, this is pretty unique. We recently had the privilege of testing the Embark dog harnesses out for ourselves. Head over to our full Embark Harness review to find out more!
In summary, we love this 360 degree high visibility harness which is made of a reflective mesh all over, so your dog cannot be mistaken on a dark night walk. Many of us particularly in winter, have to take our dogs out early in the morning or late after work, and safety is paramount. Think of unlit country lanes where drivers race along, we’ve experienced it all too often. Made from thick, durable materials with quality at the heart of Embark’s ethos, this harness is excellent value for money and the only one we can find which is all round reflective. We may have featured two harnesses from one brand, but we were genuinely impressed with both, each on their own merit and unique purpose, and we were not obliged to feature the harnesses in our top-10 review.
- 3 sizes available, see guide
- Buckles for adjusting fit
- Perfect for night walks, can be seen from over 300ft away
- D-ring lead attachment
- Matching Illuminate lead and collar available (sold separately)
- 5* amazon reviews.
# 7. Ezydog Chestplate Harness
The Ezydog chest plate harness has an EVA chest plate which forms to your dog’s bodyshape for a custom fit, meaning it’ll fit any shape dog well. It is an easy to fit and adjust harness with quick release buckle closure, rust proof D-ring lead attachment and reflective stitching.
Recently we reviewed a harness and our product tester Wrigley the dog, was a super happy customer! His owner told us it was superior to harnesses they’d had before because it fit so well, and they’re converts.
See our full review of the Ezydog harness here. We couldn’t recommend this harness without mentioning the Ezydog Zero shock lead, which would team great with this harness or any others, to provide maximum comfort to both pet and owner, easing the pressure from both of you while walking.
- Broad chest plate that spreads the load to support your dog, give maximum comfort and more control over traditional harnesses.
- High-visibility reflective tape woven into the fabric for visibility at night/low light
- Seatbelt attachment – Includes attachment with quick release snap shackle
- Adjustable from 41-68 cm around the neck and 45-73cm around the girth to give your dog the perfect fit
- Comes in a large range of colours and sizes
- Rates 4.6* on Amazon
#8. Kurgo Tru-Fit No Pull Dog Harness
Kurgo Tru-fit is a good harness for every day wear and training use due to the no-pull front attached D-ring. Another benefit is that this is a crash tested harness (US federal motor vehicle safety standard) that can be used to safely restrain your dog in a vehicle. It comes with a 10in seat belt tether for this purpose.
The fit it gives your dog is great for those long runs or walks around the block, by the beach, at the park, or in the city.
The chest plate provides comfort by reducing stress on the trachea and sternum
The harness comes with quick release buckles, and giving you the control you need and want, and has five adjustment points to be able to customize the perfect fit for your pup.
A great choice if you are someone who regularly takes your dog out for long walks and uses the car.
- Broad, padded chest plate for extra protection and comfort.
- Compatible with any vehicle seat belt system.
- Includes a carabiner and 10-inch dog seat belt loop.
- Functions as an auto or walking harness.
- Five adjustment points for a perfect fit on dogs of all shapes and sizes.
- All-metal hardware.
- Crash-tested (FMVSS upto 34kgs)
- Machine washable. Line dry.
- Easy to get on and off.
- Can be used in car travel as restraint with dog car harness.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Rates 4.3 in Amazon.
#9. Halti Non-Pull Harness
If your dog is an active dog this is the harness for you. You still want to be in control on your walks even when she/he push and pull hence non-Pull Harness is an instant solution for dogs that pull when walked. Halti’s ethos is creating no-pull training products for dogs.
The design of the Halti no pull is different in that it has a small chestplate, and two padded straps that run ‘underarm’, created to maximise range of movement and help keep your dog cool.
The Non-Pull Harness is easy to use and simple to fit as it is designed to tighten on the dog when they pull on the lead. This will ultimately deter the dog from pulling and will return them to normal controlled walking. The halti training lead is recommended for use with the harness, and we reviewed it for our 10 best dog leads article.
The Non-Pull Harness is available in three different sizes – Small, Medium & Large – to cater for virtually any size and breed of dog.
- The HALTI No-Pull Harness is an instant solution for dogs who pull when walked.
- SQUEEZE AND LIFT THEORY – the harness tightens on the dog when they pull on the lead. This will ultimately deter the dog from pulling and will return them to normal controlled walking. A sliding security cord lock prevents over-tightening.
- It is an ideal harness for small and medium sized dogs and is recommended to be used with a HALTI Training Lead.
- Comes in a rage of three sizes
- Rates 4.2 in Amazon.
#10. Ruffwear Hi and Light Harness
Perfect for active breeds such as collies, this lightweight harness is perfect for long walks or trails. Available in a range of sizes and eye catching colours (we love the sockeye red!) it also has adjustable chest and tummy straps to be the best fit for your dog.
Made of Nylon and foam, the straps are adapted from mountaineering technology for super sturdiness, and the harness only weighs 113g. It features a high viz reflective trim, with strong aluminium V-ring on the back attachment point and padded belly and chest panels. There is even a small pocket for a tag or poop bags and loop for attaching a beacon, great for low light adventures.
A great option for those who are at a higher intensity level of activity.
- High-quality dog harness for active everyday wear, Perfect for long walks, hiking and trail running, Full range of motion for walking or running, Perfect for border collies, Samoyeds and similar sized breeds
- Size Medium: 69-81 cm (27-32 in) – measurement of dog’s girth around the widest part of rib cage (behind front legs), Larger size when in doubt, Adjustable chest and belly straps for customised fit
- Easy on and off, 1 lead attachment point: strong aluminium V-ring on back, Padded chest and belly panel for comfort, High visibility reflective trim, ID pocket for dog tags or pick-up bags
- Sturdy and lightweight nylon material, Robust woven straps adapted from mountaineering technology for extra strong hold, Hand wash with mild detergent and air dry
- Rates 4.2* on Amazon
Walking your dog is very essential and you may need more than a simple collar and a leash to control your furry friend. You may need to use a harness to help with control and safety issues. A harness can give you more control with your dog when you are out and about and you become the envy of your family and friends who are having difficulties to control their dogs. A Dog harness is friendly and will grant you greater control of your puppy and dog and keep you relaxed when you are outdoors.