Nothing spoils a trip after many hours on the air than knowing your luggage has been lost and your clothes are in another airport. A couple of friends and even my younger brother have been victims of lost luggage which can take up to 2 days waiting for it to be traced. What if you could tell the airlines exactly where your bag was? That would really fasten the process and you would have a clean change of clothes.
With so much technology available to us today, there are a lot of smart luggage trackers that can help you keep your luggage safe and give you peace of mind as you travel.
We will review two kinds of trackers which may be suitable for you: Bluetooth and GPS trackers.
- We will review two kinds of trackers which may be suitable for you: Bluetooth and GPS trackers.
- BEST GPS LUGGAGE TRACKERS REVIEWS
- BLUETOOTH LUGGAGE TRACKERS REVIEWS
- Final Thoughts: Which Luggage Tracker is right for me?
Bluetooth trackers can be used to locate lost keys, purse, bag pack or wallet. They can tether from user to user and have about a 50ft range. Mobile or GSM luggage trackers get around the GPS coverage problem by using the local mobile network to help track your luggage. These devices can be found when they are in range of mobile towers. This will only work inside the airport terminal as long as your phone is working. It’s unfortunate if you find yourself in countries that are against this, it will work if the country you are in is supporting the tracking of the SIM chip in the device (usually a GSM based chip).
GPS trackers use cellular technology where it transmits your item GPS location to a server and can monitor the location from anywhere using your smartphone. GPS luggage trackers might seem one of the best options because they include a GPS chip and can be tracked anywhere in the world and are incredibly accurate but can be limited in areas with obstructions like trees, mountains and also by buildings.
The only difference between the two is the range. Bluetooth tracker can help you to track items at close range and GPS trackers will help you find a lost bag or item in a different city or country. It would be ideal to have both if you are avid traveler. GPS luggage trackers are several in the market.
Things to consider when choosing Luggage Trackers
– Tracking Technology – GSM vs GPS vs Bluetooth
– Tracking Range
– Battery Type & Life
– Smart Phone App
– Subscription Fees
– Flight Safe Modes
BEST GPS LUGGAGE TRACKERS REVIEWS
#1. The Waldo GPS luggage tracker by Smart Unit
The small unit locates your luggage at any time and has both GPM and Bluetooth technology. It is switched of when check-in and self-activate itself when landing. It prevents theft as it has an antitheft system. It alerts you when it is picked up and someone walks away or it is opened during transportation, when it is located within the Bluetooth range and breaches the electronic reach between you and your luggage. It sounds funny but it keeps an eye on your luggage. With the smart unit connected to your smartphone you will be the first to know when your luggage has arrived. The Bluetooth technology circle connect you automatically to your luggage and it will be easy to find it in the receiving belt or terminal on arrival.
• Unique anti-theft system with an electronic leash 30 yards around the luggage.
• Anti-theft alarm upon the opening of the luggage under the watch mode.
• Unique patented technology that understands when the plane has taken off and landed.
• The device self-reactivates upon landing.
• Geolocation can be requested at any time. It will be sent to our server from your Smartphone and your luggage will confirm its status when the plane is not flying and connected to a GSM network.
• FAA compliant under flight mode.
#2. SPYTEC STL_GL 300 mini portable realtime GPS tracker
Have you ever thought of a tracker that allow you to track your loved ones like children, spouse, sneaking teenager or valuable company assets when you cannot be around. Stop thinking and get yourself a SPYTEC STL_GL 300 mini portable realtime GPS tracker. Spytec, a leader in consumer and enterprise GPS tracking gear since 2004, have the compact and cutting –edge for such tracking. STL_GL 300 provide location updates as often as every 5 seconds you can easily track people, asset, vehicle in real time. It has an available waterproof magnetic case lets you easily attach the GL300 to any vehicle or asset. For top class accuracy it has a cutting-edge GPS satellite technology which ensures a tight fix on the tracker’s location. The 3-axis accelerometer improves accuracy with motion detection.
To add to that Spy Tec GPS website allows you to set geographic boundaries around locations (geofencing), you can get text or email alerts when the person or item you are tracking leaves a geographic area, for example if you are tracking your teenager and they go outside the boundaries you put from school to home you will be notified of unexpected stops. You can also geofence your neighborhood, alerting you the moment your suspect spouse leaves your home. Access customizable tracking reports and Google Maps from any device (PC, Mac, laptop, tablet or smartphone).
- Perfect for tracking vehicles, teens, spouses, elderly persons or assets.
- At only 8 ounces and 3 inches in length, the device is small enough to fit almost anywhere.
- Compact size goes anywhere | Attaches to vehicle or belt | Insert in backpack.
- Track and map (with Google Maps) in real-time over the Internet.
- No activation or cancellation fees | No contracts.
- Get text or email when a person leaves an area (geo fencing).
- Device stores data for up to a year and has a battery life of two weeks (longer when used periodically).
- Subscriptions start at $25/month.
#3. Trakdot luggage tracker
Trakdot delivers a peace of mind solution to consumers by empowering them to keep track of people’s valuables. They provide cutting edge patent protect technology at a remarkable value. It is also a mobile/GSM tracker with a mobile app that you need to download to your iPhone or Android phone. It also comes with the Bluetooth capability so can help you know where exactly your luggage is. Around 26 million travelers lose their bags in various airport each year. Trakdot luggage tracker enables you to know the location of your airline checked luggage always. It is the first ever luggage tracking solution with worldwide location reporting, keep you connected to your valuables. Trakdot employs newly patented micro-electronics and ground-based cellular telephone technologies to track and report. When in a luggage and in an airplane cargo hold, Trakdot’s patented technology shuts off its transmit-and-receive capability and enters “airplane mode. “Once back on the ground, the same technology “awakens” Trakdot and employs the local cellular network to notify the Trakdot owner.
- Notify the landing on the location of their Gepäcks.
- Easy to install and use.
- Trakdot your Luggage can be combined with various mobile phones.
- Smart flight mode is included, that turns off while the aircraft is in the air, and on again when it has landed saving battery charge.
- First annual fee is already included in the purchase price.
- Greater convenience use their website www.trakdot.com to check on your luggage, at different places.
- Send an SMS Trakdot Luggage to your mobile phone and an email to confirm the location of your Luggage.
- A great little luggage location device with a messaging service that can help you know what is going on when you land.
- It is a great option with the yearly or lifetime service fee, for frequent travelers.
- In terms of performance and comfort, the Trakdot is excellent, providing ease of use, global coverage and versatile compatibility with all of your mobile devices.
- It has a battery life of 48 hours which is very low if your flight duration is longer but the turnoff mode helps a lot in conserving battery charge.
- Need to sign up for their service after the initial free period.
#4. LugLoc tracker Review
Your belongings are a basics necessity for your holiday, make sure you know they are coming with you on the flight. The tracker lets you locate your belongings anywhere while traveling, through a friendly smartphone app. LugLoc is perfect for any bags be it, hard or soft case can also be used for high value bags such as golf bags, with your skis or bike when travelling or just into your regular bag to provide peace of mind. You simply pack the device inside your bag and mobile app displays mapped location letting you know where your bag is in-real time. LugLoc is for travelers. Whether traveling for business, vacation, or with valuable items. Unlike short-range Bluetooth trackers that require you to be within 100 feet of your bags, or GPS devices that do not work indoors.
LugLoc Luggage Locator is proven to help travelers from losing their luggage or ever worrying about lost luggage when travelling. LugLoc helps you see that your bags are in the airport, and is built for travellers to follow their luggage. Has an easy to setup, easy to track process. The iOS and Android apps have been specifically designed with customers in mind who might not be so comfortable with modern apps. Anyone can download and setup the application in a matter of minutes. Once setup, with just the click of a button any user can see the location of their bag in seconds. Almost every commercial airport has cellular coverage, meaning continual tracking. For an added level of security, a Bluetooth connection will communicate where your items are when in close proximity to your smartphone. This feature also helps detect luggage when inside most aircraft and planes. This lightweight device also comes with a USB cable and a charger to keep that battery full until you place it in your bag.
- Worldwide Luggage Locator and global coverage allows instantly upgrading the bags you own with a “smart” and connected solution for stress-free travel everywhere.
- LugLoc tells you if your bag has been loaded onto the plane before you take-off. Very ideal for travel as you always know where you bag is with LugLoc.
- LugLoc is 100% compliant and approved for use by leading flight regulations, including FAA, FCC and TSA
- 30 days free tracking worldwide.
- Rechargeable Battery lasts up to 2-weeks off a single charge. Plus, you can see the status on your mobile app and you can choose to receive convenient reminders to your phone or email when battery runs low.
- Works both indoors and outdoors.
- With cell tower connected technology you are able to see where your bag is anytime, anywhere with automatic global tracking.
- LugLoc has 2G GSM technology that shows your bags on a map. It fits in any size bag (hard or soft).
- LugLoc works everywhere (indoors and outdoors).
#5. Trackimo Universal Tracking GPS Device
Trackimo is an absolutely fantastic product on all sorts of levels a GPS device and can be located anywhere worldwide. It has good features: Incredibly lightweight, it can be used globally and you do not need to buy a sim card all you have to do is log onto their website and activate it. The pricing plan for online tracking is also the cheapest compared to others. It is free for the first year and then only $5 per month thereafter way cheaper than other competitors.
All in all a really solid, value for money product that just works! The device’s motion detection is really interesting, and it put the device in some kind of standby mode while still in order to save battery life which last up to 5-6 days. It can be used to keep track of the elderly, luggage in the airport and on the plane, your pet, keys, mobile and even wallet, anything valuable. This is an excellent product, a small discreet device that can be put in the pocket or attacked to a pets collage or luggage. You know if your item gets lost just a press can send me a SOS from the tracker and you can locate it through your phone via the Trackimo app
- Real time tracking with GPS and GSM accuracy provide instant location and history.
- Trackimo is available with worldwide service and its location is accessible through any computer or mobile device with an internet connection.
- The only truly consumer based tracking device that combines worldwide coverage with a very low monthly service price.
- Trackimo is charged through any standard USB ports, allowing to charge from the computer, the car and anywhere with a USB port.
- Trackimo device is equipped with an SOS button that sends a notification with the exact location of the device.
We also have several Bluetooth trackers in the market.
BLUETOOTH LUGGAGE TRACKERS REVIEWS
#6. Tile slim mate-key finder, phone finder, anything founder
Tile slim the world thinnest Bluetooth tracker is the solution to customers who lose their wallet, purse or phone without noticing. With tile slim and our simple app you can recover your lost item in no time. Tile slim is as thin as two credit cards, you can slid, tuck or attach to anything, a phone, a laptop, wallet, phone or kindle. It is the quickest and most reliable way to find your lost item all you have to do is use our simple app to make it ring or see its last known location. If it is your phone, simply press your tile slim to make your phone ring even if it is on silent. It only uses Bluetooth technology so you need to be quite close to the device to find it. You can use the “tile network” which means that other tile users can anonymously tell if when they are near your lost device. It is based more as a specific location identifier device.
- One of the world’s best-selling Bluetooth tracker small in size allow it to easily loops onto key chains or attaches to anything you do not want to lose so you can find it fast.
- Use your smartphone to make your Tile Mate ring when it’s nearby but out of sight; find your phone by simply double pressing the button on your Tile Mate to make your phone ring even on silent.
- Easy-to-use, free Tile app remembers the last time and place it saw your Tile, so if you left it somewhere, you will always know where to look.
- You can anonymously enlist help in the Tile community; with over 5 million Tile devices sold, it is one of the world’s largest lost and found network.
- Tiles last one year with zero charging required; after a year, you can replace your old Tiles with new ones for a special community member price.
- Tile relies heavily on Bluetooth and does not use a GSM tracker like the Trakdot hence if your luggage ends up in another country, it will not be within range and hence hard to find.
#7. TrackR bravo
This is very ideal, it is a Bluetooth device you can attach to any important item. Use the TrackR app to locate it in seconds. By just tapping a button in your TrackR bravo will ring loudly and the distance indicator will let you know when you are getting close to your lost item. Also the crowd locate network will help you recover a lost item. If one of the millions of TrackR users walks by your lost item while running the app, you will receive an anonymous update with your items last known location. A million items are found everyday with help from TrackR users.
- Quickly ring it with the touch of a button. TrackR bravo is a Bluetooth tracker small enough to attach to anything: keys, purse, briefcase, laptop, and luggage.
- Ring your misplaced mobile even on silent. Works with Alexa, if you cannot find your smartphone, just ask your Alexa-enabled device to tell you where it is.
- Designed to last: Uses one CR1620 battery that’s easy to replace. Order replacements right through the app when it runs low.
- Helps users find items outside Bluetooth range through the use of another TrackR app user if they walks by your item, your item’s location will be updated in the app.
- Track and ring the same device from multiple smartphones and TrackR accounts especially with family sharing items like remote.
This tracker was created in partnership with world renowned designer Philippe Starck. Philippe Starck was inspired by a pet tag when he created an object that could adapt to a pet’s collar, and from there he designed more trackers that can be used in your handbag, your car, or your bike a thin, light and elegant product so that you can use it anyway you like. This would put an end to losing your personal items. The box contains Wistiki Aha, instructions for use and setup for easy use. It is a smart accessory that is connected to your smart phone. It is available for iOS and Android. Let Voila by Wistiki keep you from losing small items you carry while leaving your house, car keys, wallet, purse and cellphone. Using the app you can make the object ring by pushing the button make items ring up in an up to 300 ft. radius thanks to the Bluetooth technology. Community GPS will show the device location on a map whenever a fellow Wistiki owner comes within range, if your item is out of range.
- Easily locate your business or your pet as it is connected with anti-lost alarm function.
- Ring, and radar function enables you to find them your item or pet quickly.
- It alerts you when your subject is moving out of your smartphone.
- View the last known location on the map of (newest Bluetooth connection between your smartphone and the wistiki).
- Design by Starck, 100% made in France.
Final Thoughts: Which Luggage Tracker is right for me?
Having the best luggage tracker in your bag can save you the trouble of wasting your vacation searching for your bags in case they get lost. Each of the luggage trackers reviewed above offer unique advantages, although some are obviously better. Since I like travelling a lot I have tested most of them. Simple Bluetooth trackers like Tile and TrackR can only show you where your bag is when it is within 100ft Bluetooth range, or rely on other users having their app open. I liked the Spytech for its versatility due its variety of features as it can be used for luggage, purses, keys, cars, and countless other types of valuable items, however, I am torn between these three trackers: LugLoc, Trackimo and Trackdot.
LugLoc works everywhere (indoor and outdoor) and lets you focus on what’s important; enjoying your trips, relaxing and ensures you rest easy knowing where your bags are at all times.
Trackimo has a collection of trackers which is vernd they all seem to work really well. Online review indicates its a trustworthy product even though we haven’t tested it. I am dieing to get my hands on one of this to explore its capabilities firsthand.
Trackdot is decidedly the best luggage tracker as it uses GSM technology, has global access with an easy to use smart phone app. The Lite version has a built-in rechargeable battery making it superior to other trackers and it’s also airline approved. It is our best pick.