What is Dry Dog Food?
- What is Dry Dog Food?
- Best Dry Dog Food UK
- Best Dry Dog Food Brands
Getting the right dry dog food for your dog can seem a bit daunting when there are so many dog food brands around on pet shop shelves, all offering you more or less the same thing. The best dry dog food is high in protein, low in carbs, and made with high-quality meats and NOT cheap fillers. You will find there are hundreds of different dry dog food brands available online. So what’s the best brand on sale today? The United Kingdom is home to some of the best dog food brands available in the world. So what’s the best? Here is the top 10 best dry dog food brands on sale in 2018.
Best Dry Dog Food UK
For your dog to stay healthy a complete dry dog food will do the trick as it provides various nutrients without adding any supplement or accomplishments. The dry food has the required level of calories considering the health requirements for your dog. No dog owner wants an obese dog or malnutrition dog. If your dog has a sensitive stomach or is allergic to various food types you can give it special dog food to cater for this. Dry dog food can be used as a treat for training. Check our article on Dog cameras for more insight into this. If your dog is a slow eater dry dog food is healthier as it is not prone to spoilage because of staying for long in the feeding bowl. The only precaution is plenty of water should be available for dogs on a dry food only diet to quench their thirst. Dry food keeps your furry friend teeth strong due to jaw exercise while chewing.
They are various variety of dog foods with tasty and balanced recipes with vital nutrients for your dog needs. You do not want your dog to be stuck with different types of dry dog food that it does not enjoy.
Do your research and when buying consider:
- Dog size and age
- If you have a puppy your main aim is to see it grow rapidly and healthy. The dry dog food ideal for it should contain calcium for its bones and teeth, proteins for bodybuilding and nutrients such as vitamin D and A for its bones and eyesight and brain development- food with Omega oils will come in handy.
- Smaller and active dogs require food that has a higher level of energy and calories as they are very playful and active, unlike older dogs.
- Older dogs will require food rich in fiber content to help in digestion and constipation and energy giving food and fewer calories to prevent obesity as they are less active and playful because of old age.
Some dogs are allergic to chicken and fish and also large quantities of garlic can bring about acidity and stomach discomfort to your dog and it’s better to be careful, check the ingredients of your dry dog food. Meaty and fatty ingredients if not given in limited quantities can cause obesity in your dog and make it lazy due to weight issues over time.
As much as you want your dog to enjoy feeding, you can alternate meaty meals with other less pricey ingredients to accommodate your budget but also consider low price can mean low quality hence need to evaluate well before purchase.
The dry food has an expiration date, you do not want your dog eating toxic food. Depending on its eating intake do not buy a lot of food to store. Buy food that will last 4-6 weeks to make sure your dog dry food stays fresh. Seal up the food by clamping or trying tight when it is not feeding time.
Our research, talking to friends and family members who are dog owners and ourselves we came up with a great selection of the 10 best dry dog foods with affordable prices that considers the nutritious needs of your dog, age, and size. We came up with an assortment of tasty dog food recipes that offers the balanced and dietary needs of your dog.
Best Dry Dog Food Brands
Barking Head Dog Food
Barking head-Puppy Days is a complete balanced food for young dogs and includes 60% chicken and salmon as well as other delicious nutritionally-positive ingredients like seaweed and tomato. It also controls the rate of growth in puppies to reduce the likelihood of skeletal problems as they get older. Made only from naturally wholesome ingredients, no artificial colourings, flavourings, and preservatives. From various reviews on Amazon, dog owners recommend this dry food as it solves tummy issues, it can also be a treat for training and can be carried to the park to reward your dog after its’ play time. It has safe vacuum sealed bag to keep your dog food fresh. It is more budget-friendly and worthy than other average food as the nutritious content of the food is excellent and far better than other similar premium dog foods. Approximate Dimensions (Product): 38 x 21 x 11cm. It has optimal Omega 6 and Omega 3 ration for skin and coat health and your dog coat will be shiny, soft and lovely to touch. It is proudly made in Britain. Alongside this barking head has dry foods for growing and older dogs like barking head fusspot used for smaller, active, large dogs and puppies and barking head tiny paws for special need dogs and smaller dogs.
60% Chicken, Salmon and Trout (includes 22% Chicken, 18% Dried Chicken, 8% Salmon, 5% Trout, 3% Chicken Fat, 2.5% Chicken Stock, 1.5% Salmon Oil), Brown Rice, Sweet Potato, White Rice, Dried Egg, Lucerne, Seaweed, Tomato, Carrot, Prebiotic MOS, Prebiotic FOS.
- Dog Likes It
- Easy To Digest
- Good Value
- Improves Coat
- Nutritional and tasty.
- Limited to dogs without allergic reactions to fish, chicken or other proteins.
Royal Canin Shiz Tzu Dog Food
At Royal Canin we put the animal first in everything we do and our aim is to provide nutritional solutions precisely to meet the need of your dog. We take into account age, breed, size and lifestyle. Royal chain dog food meets the different needs of small, medium and large breeds by developing breed specific foods. The name Shiz Tzu name means lion dog if translated. The Shiz Tzu dog is associated with China. It is recognized as the more popular breed in Japan and other parts of the world. The best record of the Shiz Tzu in the United Kingdom was in 1931 and was officially registered in 1940. Shiz Tzu dog has a cheerful nature, lots of energy and require everyday daily exercise. It is an ideal companion to be a part of your family but requires a lot of love and human attention. Royal Chain has develop a dry food to meet your dog’s daily needs. It has vitamins and amino acids that support the skin. Dental health is supported also with this feed. Choose Royal Chain dry food to suit its dietary and healthy needs. EPA, DHA and Vitamin A ingredients ensures your dog has healthy skin and nourish the coat. It is enriched with borage oil to keep your dog coat shinny as it grows. The food includes easy digestible ingredients that supporting digestive health and promoting a balance in the intestinal flora. It is exclusively designed to make it easier and encourage the Shih Tzu puppy to pick up and help him to chew.
Rice, dehydrated poultry protein, maize, animal fats, vegetable protein isolate*, beet pulp, hydrolysed animal proteins, minerals, fish oil, soya oil, fructo-oligo-saccharides, hydrolysed yeast (source of manno-oligo-saccharides), borage oil (0.1%), marigold extract (source of lutein)
- Dogs likes it.
- Omega oil makes the dog coat shinny.
- DHA helps in brain development.
- Vitamins and amino acids helps and support the skin keeping your puppy healthier and happier.
- Helps in dental health and borage oil helps in digestion.
- For rapid growth.
- Supports strong natural defences.
- Stool and odour reduction.
- Special brachycephalic jaw.
- Ideal for Shih Tzus under 10 months or you want for adult you have to purchase the feed made for adults.
Nature Variety Prairie Barley dog food
If you want your dog to have strong and lean muscles as it grows Nature Prairie will help a lot, get it that. It is made in the USA and quality is key. They considered active dogs while producing it as its main ingredient is beef which is yummy to your dog and will always look forward to feeding time. It will give your dog a lot of energy to keep it going daily and have strong muscles that will be put in use during playtime. It also has fruit and vegetables and omega oil to keep your dog coat shinny and healthy. It is free of preservatives and uses natural ingredients with minerals and vitamins for a great taste. Your dog will not experiences issues of constipations or allergies as it comes with whole grains to ease in digestion and smooth growth.
Beef-as the main ingredient, real fruits and vegetables, omega, whole grains, vitamins and minerals.
- USA-raised beef is the main ingredient for strong, lean muscles and energy throughout the day.
- Made with hearty whole grains for digestive health.
- Real fruits and vegetables and Omegas for healthy coat and skin.
- Fillers, corn, wheat, soy, by-product meal, artificial colors or preservatives are not included-which is a plus as it makes the food all natural.
- Each piece of kibble is tumbled with freeze dried raw for fabulous taste and nutrition that your dog will long for.
- Made in the USA with the finest ingredients from around the world. Natural nutrition with added vitamins and minerals
- Earthborn Holistic dog food
Earthborn Holistic Adult Vantage Dog Food contains high-quality animal and fish proteins such as chicken meal and whitefish meal. Guaranteed levels of antioxidant nutrients like Vitamin E and Beta-Carotene blended with nutrient-rich fruits and vegetables such as apples, blueberries, carrots, and spinach help support the immune system and optimal health. Fully cooked wholesome grains like oatmeal, barley, brown rice, and rye are easily digested.
The natural fibers from the fruits and vegetables help support good digestion and intestinal health. L-carnitine helps burn fat and maintain lean muscle mass to support a healthy, active lifestyle and your dog will not be obese. If you are an environmental activist you can collect the UPCs from these bags, mail them in, and Earthborn will plant a tree and conserve our environment.
Chicken Meal, Oatmeal, Barley, Brown Rice, Rye Flour, Potatoes, Canola Oil (Preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Whitefish Meal, antioxidant nutrients, Blueberries, , Carrots, Spinach, Potassium Chloride, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Salt, Calcium Pantothenate, and vitamin C and B12.
- Very reasonable price.
- Grain & gluten-free, protein-rich.
- A brand that cares about the planet
- Holistic Nutrition, 28 lb. resealable bag
- Quality animal and fish proteins such as chicken meal and whitefish meal help build and maintain muscle
- Fully cooked wholesome grains like oatmeal, barley, brown rice and rye are easily digested
- Balanced ratio of Omega-6 and Omega-3 fatty acids helps support healthy skin and coat
- Packaging is BPA free, recyclable through Earthborn ReBorn/Terracycle program, collect UPCs and plant trees.
Orijen is a brand that offers premium dog food designed to suit your dog’s natural biological needs and benefits dogs of every breed, size and life stage. It has pet foods that nourish your dog’s body just as nature intended, and it uses only the freshest regional ingredients in an assortment of formulas catered to dogs in all life stages from puppy to senior. It food has natural diet and its food is rich in meat and proteins. Each product contains up to 90 percent meat, which is more than three times the amount used in conventional dog food and 38 % proteins. Orijen dog foods contain 20% carbohydrates and only low-glycemic, highly digestible carbs like lentils, pumpkin, leafy greens, and fresh fruits. All of the formulas are naturally grain-free and healthy for your dog. Orijen only sells dry dog foods at this time and still offers an assortment of kibbles and freeze-dried dog foods for puppies, adults, and senior dogs as well as a selection of treats made with 100 percent fresh meat ingredients. It’s loaded with the protein-packed meat ingredients that Mother Nature intended all dogs to eat, including free-run chicken and turkey, whole eggs, wild-caught fish and regional fruits and vegetables.
High-protein formulas 90% (deboned chicken, deboned turkey, yellowtail flounder, whole eggs, whole Atlantic mackerel, chicken liver, turkey liver, chicken heart, turkey heart, whole Atlantic herring)minimum 38% protein, carbohydrate-limited 20% and low-glycemic, formulated for different life stages, , traditional kibble and freeze-dried options, all grain-free recipes.
- Meaty ingredients like free run chicken & turkey, wild caught fish and nest laid eggs ensures your dog feed with enjoyment.
- Loaded with richly-nourishing meat (80%) to maintain lean muscle mass.
- The great thing about high-quality foods like Orijen is that you don’t need to feed as much to get the recommended amount of daily calories & nutrients, and that means a bag lasts longer compared to some of the super-sized bags you find in the supermarket pet aisle.
- Orijen Adult Dry Dog Food is formulated to match your dog’s natural diet and rated high enough for human consumption.
- These world-class ingredients, all sustainably farmed or fished arrive fresh each day, so they’re preservative-free, never frozen and loaded with the animal proteins and fats that nourish your dog completely.
- Many recipes contain common proteins and other ingredients that may trigger allergies in some dogs (like chicken, beef, and fish)
Taste of the Wild
Taste of the Wild High PrairieRoasted bison and venison are mixed with selected fruits and veggies to mimic the diet your dog would enjoy in the wild. The grain-free formula delivers highly digestible energy, natural antioxidants, and a taste sensation every dog requires. Taste of the wild offers nine dry foods. A taste of the wild with roasted bison first ingredient is made with real meat which is the first ingredient with optimal amino acid profile and protein rich for lean and strong muscles. It contains natural vitamins and minerals, fruits and vegetables as super foods for natural antioxidants, fatty acid blend for healthy skin and coat for your dog.
Though many dogs can digest whole-grain carbohydrates, grains have the potential to trigger food allergies or sensitivities in some dogs. A grain-free dog food should be made with digestible carbohydrates like legumes, fruits, and vegetables, though the focus should always be on high-quality sources of protein. Taste of the Wild understands that dogs crave natural flavor, which is why each of its recipes is formulated around real roasted meats like venison, bison, and lamb. Real meat is the first ingredient in every recipe, though most recipes contain multiple sources of animal protein. All of this brand’s products are also supplemented with highly digestible carbohydrates for energy and fiber, dried fermentation products for probiotic support, and chelated minerals for maximum nutrient absorption. This brand has nearly 10,000 reviews on Amazon for their most popular recipe. What really sets this brand apart is its use of novel proteins like bison and venison, which are less likely to trigger food allergies in dogs and are a leaner source of protein than commercially raised meats.
Buffalo, Lamb Meal, Chicken Meal, Sweet Potatoes, Peas, Potatoes, Canola Oil, Egg Product, Bison, Roasted Venison, Beef, Natural Flavor, Tomato Pomace, Potato Protein, Pea Protein, Ocean Fish Meal, Salt, Choline Chloride, Dried Chicory Root, Tomatoes, Blueberries, Raspberries, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Bifidobacterium Lactis, Lactobacillus Reuteri, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin D Supplement, Folic Acid
- Each recipe features real roasted meat that makes your dog food tasty.
- Highly digestible grain-free carbohydrates which ensure if your dog has sensitive stomach it will have a smooth digestive process.
- Multiple proteins in every formula, supplemented with antioxidants for strong immunity.
- Nutrient rich and highly digestible with guaranteed species-specific, proprietary probiotics that survive and thrive in the GI tract and supports a healthy immune system.
- Ingredients from trusted, sustainable sources around the world; made with no grain; corn, wheat, filler; no artificial flavors, colors, preservatives.
- Contains a source of live, naturally antioxidants.
- Chelated minerals for maximum absorption.
- More limited selection of products than some brands, no formulas for large-breed dogs, recipes may be higher in calories than the typical dog food
Whole Earth Farms Grain Free Chicken and Turkey Recipe Dry Dog Food
Whole Earth Farms pet foods are naturally nutritious and cooked in the US. Whole Earth Farms, offers quality nutrition at a more affordable price than most premium pet food brands. Whole Earth Farms offers an assortment of original and grain-free products, including formulas developed for specific life stages and breed sizes so you can choose the product that best suits your dog. When shopping for dog food it is important not to shop by price alone because low-priced dog foods are also typically low in quality. This doesn’t mean, however, that affordable brands of high-quality dog food aren’t out there. The Whole Earth Farms brand is manufactured by the Merrick Pet Care Company, a company that receives Dog Food Advisor’s 5-star rating. Whole Earth Farm pet foods are made in the US with fresh, natural ingredients to support your dog’s digestion while also boosting his energy levels and improving the health of his skin and coat. Each recipe starts with a quality animal protein and is supplemented with digestible carbohydrates, probiotics, and chelated minerals for maximum nutrient absorption. Whereas some of the top brands on the market cost upwards whole Earth Farms dog food is affordable.
Chicken, turkey, digestible carbohydrates, probiotics, minerals, fresh natural ingredients.
- No artificial additives.
- First ingredient is high quality protein formulas for different life stages and breed sizes.
- Affordable Goodness.
- Grain free recipe for easier digestibility
- Supports a shinier coat, less shedding and healthier skin
- Pork-free recipe for dogs with pork sensitivities
- Cooked in the USA with no ingredients from China
- Presence of common proteins and other ingredients that may trigger allergies in some dogs (like chicken, rice, and turkey)
Holistic Select Adult Dog Food
Holistic Select is committed to the highest standard in dog food safety. This high standard in pet food safety has resulted in zero recalls and a top award winning brand. It is made in USA and backed by the Holistic Select Guarantee. You can subscribe and save a lot as it is a hassle-free way to save 5% and always keep your pantry stocked with your dog feed. the Holistic Select Adult Health deboned Turkey and Lentils Recipe includes antioxidant-rich super foods such as blueberries and pomegranate to provide natural support to cellular health. Contains a source of live, naturally occurring microorganisms normally found in a healthy digestive tract. Wholesome lentils are a great fiber source to help move food through the digestive tract for healthy daily output.
Turkey, wholesome lentils, antioxidants, blueberries, pomegranate and natural microorganisms.
- Excellent quality.
- Great nutrition and available in a different blends.
- Suitable for dogs with sensitive stomach and allergies as it works wonders for dogs with rashes and alopecia allergies.
- Grain free, complete and balanced everyday nutrition for your dog.
- Nutritious and delicious recipe, made with quality ingredients and premium protein from real salmon, anchovy and sardines.
- Contains only premium, all natural ingredients with no meat by-products, wheat, wheat-gluten or artificial colors, flavors or fillers.
Ziwi peak is above the rest in both quality and cost. 100% single-sourced Lamb that is free-range and grass-fed on ethical and sustainable New Zealand farms. Our lamb is free of antibiotics, growth promotants and added hormones and will ensure your dog stays healthy. All the way from New Zealand farms it satisfy the pickiest eaters (you know, the ones that will eat your bacon, yummy chicken, its bed but not their food). The food is made of complete and balanced, limited ingredient formulas include 98% fresh meat, organs, bones and green mussels. New Zealand green mussels are an all-natural source of Chondroitin and Glucosamine, which supports joint health. The absolute best part about the Ziwi peak is that you can switch it up with different recipes without going through the tedious process of switching foods. Dried lamb this week—Beef the next-Training reward beef and Deer shark dog bone treat are all options for your furry friend. If your dog demands a rotating menu, and Ziwi peak known variety truly is the spice of life. Does your pup have food allergies? You’ll find less common main ingredients here, like chicken, pork, and whitefish (chicken is a common allergy-causing food in dogs) to ease those skin and tummy troubles too.
Complete and balanced, limited ingredient formulas include 98% fresh meat, organs, bones and green mussels. New Zealand green mussels are an all-natural source of Chondroitin and Glucosamine, which supports joint health.
- 100% single-sourced Lamb that is free-range and grass-fed on ethical and sustainable New Zealand farms. Our lamb is free of antibiotics, growth promotants and added hormones.
- Our gentle twin-stage, air-drying process eliminates pathogenic bacteria while naturally preserving and protecting the nutrients in all of the ingredients.
- Our complete and balanced, limited ingredient formulas include 98% fresh meat, organs, bones and green mussels.
- New Zealand green mussels are an all-natural source of Chondroitin and Glucosamine, which supports joint health.
- Grain free: corn, soy, potatoes, wheat, rice, fillers, sugars, glycerins, rendered meals, or preservatives.
- Because our foods are 95% digestible, high in protein and high in kilocalories, they pack more power than raw food or kibble. Therefore, you feed smaller quantities per day.
- Good for all breeds.
Primal Freeze Dried Turkey & Sardine Dog Food
Primal Freeze is best raw dog food is uncooked, which means that your dog gets all of the nutrients he requires without the need for a long list of supplements. Though raw foods need to be kept refrigerated or frozen, no other type of dog food can compare to their quality or nutritional integrity and Primal Pet Foods is our top choice for raw dog food.
Primal Pet Foods is free of antibiotics, steroids, and hormones. Each recipe is made with 100 percent human-grade ingredients, including certified organic produce. Because the recipes are frozen fresh to retain their nutritional integrity. This brand also offers freeze-dried formulas using many of the same high-quality ingredients which can be rehydrated to create a nutritious, moisture-rich meal for your dog.
Though Primal Pet Food is significantly more expensive than most dog foods on the market, it offers a significantly higher degree of quality as well.
- Made with 100 percent human-grade ingredients, antibiotic- and steroid-free proteins, certified organic produce, and supplements.
- Products retain more of their natural nutritional integrity, assortment of raw frozen and freeze-dried products as well as mixes and supplements.
- It is a convenient and easy alternative to raw food.
- Grain-, gluten-, corn-, wheat- and soy-free.
- Made with wholesome, nutritious ingredients your pet will enjoy.
- Available with different protein sources as main ingredients.
- Highly digestible and made from quality ingredients.
- Good source of amino and essential Omega-3 fatty acids, calcium, Vitamins A, B-complex, C, D and E, as well as taurine for eye health.
- Made in USA and is of high quality.
- Raw food must be kept frozen or refrigerated.
- Risk for food-borne illness will improper handling.
- Some dogs don’t like the texture of raw food.
- Very expensive compared to traditional kibble.
- Calculations required to determine proper feeding amount.
Though all dogs have the same basic nutritional requirements, what makes a certain product the best choice for your dog may vary according to his age, activity level, and specific dietary needs? As a dog owner, you do not want your dog to label you the nagging dog owner when it is time for eating. Your dog might be a picky eater depending on how you have trained him. Do you offer him bacon from your breakfast plate and still expect him to devour its’ dry food. Get dog food with ingredients that suits the taste nearing bacon. You can feed him with dry food with turkey, chicken, beef, and fish and with time he will eat everything in its’ bowl without you screaming your head off. The best dry dog food listed above are high in proteins, meaty ingredients which are tops in quality and other nutrients that will leave your dog salivating for more and longing for feeding time. Just the same way we take care of what we eat even when you feed your dog we know it can be challenging. We have provided a list of nutritious food with high quality natural ingredients, protein based with no synthetic colouring and preservatives as our main agenda is to ensure you get healthy food with nutritious excellence to make your dog look great and healthy.